New to Tinnitus and Finding It Hard.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brettj34, May 26, 2016.

1. Brettj34
      Depressed

Brettj34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load Music
      Hi All,

I recently have been diagnosed with Tinnitus I feel it was from too many concerts and at the last one the ringing hasn’t stopped. I guess the reason I am feeling this so hard is that I can’t get my head around the fact this could be forever.

My wife and I have a young family and I myself am only 32, every time I think that this could last forever I breakdown and cry. I am currently using a steroid spray Dymista as I wait for my appointment with an ENT. The Dymista hasn’t helped yet but it is still early in the going.

After pretty much reading everything on the forum the advice is to try and ignore it and continue on with life the first few months are the toughest, but again it is hard when all I can think about is this. Our little girl is 1 in a couple of weeks and I don’t have any interest in planning her party or anything which isn’t like me at all, I hate what this has made me become but I can’t get back to where I was at the before T.

I know it has been covered before but any words that could give me peace of mind that I will work through it would be greatly appreciated

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I understand. The beginning is the absolute worst. I have had it since 2/1 and I still struggle. To be honest at this point I mostly struggle with the fear of it getting worse or the fear of procedures or medicine (like today I had a wisdom tooth out) that could make it worse. I was in a REALLY bad place with just the regular T up until a few weeks ago. Now I think I can make do. I am not at the point of habituation or being ok with it completely but struggling with the tinnitus itself (without all those other distractions and fears) has gotten MUCH better. You are still very new and this might go away or get better.

How loud is your T?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brettj34
      Depressed

Brettj34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load Music
      Thanks for the reply, judging by a lot of people on here I would say mine is at the low end but as you know it’s the worst at night in bed with silence. I am also finding it difficult to concentrate at work as my office is also deadly silent and I am too afraid to use headphones at this point. I guess as time passes it will get easier but the thought of living with this for another 30-40 years makes me extremely upset

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      If you have noise induced trauma there is a possibility that the body heals the inner to a certain extent but to allow this you need to absolutely protect you ears from more noise during the next 6 months as its a very slow process . Patience is key.

That means no sounds above 60db wiht a good margin and that means wearing ear muffs or plugs pretty much all the time outside or around loud kids etc..

Yes your perception of t will increase temporarily but you need to buckle up and be ready for a tough ride lasting the next 6 months before it will get noticeable better at which point you can ease up on the protection scheme and allow up to 70 or limited 80db perhaps and slowly habituate and forget about t but that will have to come later

• Like Like x 1
    5. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      i have responded to so many newcomers like you. take care of your ears and your overall health. After a few months you will feel much better. I never thought it would be possible. Make sure you get some sleep. Use masking at night to help you sleep. Best.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      And get on prednisone ASAP it may help if it's early enough
      it did help me
      Also look into supplements like NAC and l Carnitine taken together - and vitamin b12

7. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi Brett! Welcome!
      You are really new to this and it's too early to know if your T will be permanent. You describe your T volume as "low" so I believe your ability to habituate will be good. The early months are tough because your body reacts to the noise as a perceived threat....the fight or flight response. Even if your T is permanent, your brain might decide that these noises are not as important as time goes on. Planning your daughter's birthday party will actually help you to refocus. Good luck with your upcoming ENT appointment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brettj34
      Depressed

Brettj34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load Music
      Thanks for the replies, its nice to know we are all facing the same challenge together. And that people have taken the time to reply to a guy in Melbourne, Australia who is a newbie. I am starting B12 and Ginkgo Biloba vitamins and continuing the dymista spray. No improvement yet but here's hoping. I hope to be a regular contributor to this forum. Thanks again