New Tone Driving Me Crazy... Could Use Some Positive News...

Discussion in 'Support' started by tylercruz, Jan 28, 2018.

1. tylercruz

tylercruz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for 3 years now. I also have Meniere's disease, in fact I had a vertigo attack today.

I'm lying in bed right now as I write this, and I am just going a bit crazy and I'm depressed because about 2 weeks ago I started getting a new tone in my left ear.

Normally I have a pulsatile tinnitus in both ears very high pitch and is somatic. But now I have a new tone in my left ear which is a lower tone and is about 75% the volume of my normal tinnitus. I've learned to live with my usual tinnitus even though it does bother me and is very intrusive however getting this new tone is making me so anxious because I fear that it will be another permanent thing I have to live with plus it has been getting louder.

I've had this new tone for roughly 2 weeks now and I take quite good care of my ears I don't wear earbuds or earphones and I avoid all super loud noises. Now I have had this particular tone before but it would only fade in and out slowly and it was at a lower volume. It would usually stay for a few days or a week but now I've had it for 2 weeks and it is much louder so you can see why I'm very fearful that it might be come permanent and continue to get louder.

I don't know what I'm asking for here other than possibly some positive things you guys could share with me because I need some positive news this is so hard for me thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi there,

I understand how you feel. I usually have a very loud screaming tea kettle from hell tone and then about 8 years ago a new low microwave/lawn mower tone came in. It would fade in and out and now it is permanent. I still get new tones that come in and go. Its kinda nerve wrecking and we ask "why" another new noise. It's ok to feel the way you do, just try to take a deep breathe and relax yourself.

Tinnitus can for sure test our will power and just know that you are going to make it. It takes lots of patience to deal with tinnitus and it's possible tones. Just know that all of us here have been in your situation and still are. @glynis can also give you some great advice.

Hang in there buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Billlf

Billlf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noise
      You’re far from alone. It will get better. Trust in time time and the power of your amazing brain. It will work around this problem.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @tylercruz ,
      I totally understand how your feeling as I also have Menieres and had it 12-14 years.
      Are you on any medication like -
      Betahistine
      Proclorperazine
      Cinnarazine
      Buccastem
      Diuretic.
      I remember my vertigo days stuck in bed or on the sofa and feeling sick and being sick just to move around along with other symptoms.
      Menieres is tough going but stay positive there is help.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tylercruz

tylercruz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks guys... the funny thing is, I wish to have 'just' my usual loud crickets back... they used to drive me insane but now I'd be happy to get rid of the new tone and just stick with my crickets!

Wonder if I'll ever be saying that about the new tone as well!

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Let us know how your going with your new sound.
      Love glynis

7. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hang in there tylercruz as I am getting a spike in volume in the left ear as well, think I would prefer the crickets back too, just keep the anxiety down while going through this , stay positive ! kevin from canada

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tylercruz

tylercruz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do have insane anxiety... Tyler from Canada

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @tylercruz ,
      I would try talking therapy for anxiety and relaxation and nice long walks.
      See your doctor if it's interfering with your everyday life.
      Love glynis

10. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      How are you now? Do you still have the "new tone"

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tylercruz

tylercruz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am happy to report that my spike DID eventually die down. This "new tone" is odd in that, unlike my normal tones, it will come and go completely. I've had it before, but when I made this post, it was the loudest the new tone had been, and it lasted longer than before too.

I ended up having the new loud tone for about a month, as can be seen here (the last little spike on the right side of the graph):

pf6Zpob.png

It very gradually went away over the course of about a month... although right now my Tinnitus sounds super loud because I'm writing this thread, heh. Here's a graph of the past couple months, from where the new tone started and to today:

Sj2P8dP.png

So yes, I am thankful and happy to be back to me base and have just my usual normal annoying Tinnitus back :)

So take this as hope guys - to others who are reading this and are dealing with a new spike - give it time before you panic, as it hopefully is just a temporary spike and will go away over time. This was the longest spike I've had so far, so next time I won't panic until it lasts over a month :)

12. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      I am glad it did :)