New with Tinnitus and I Think Hyperacusis, Questions About How to Behave...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by VRZ78, Sep 18, 2016.

1. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Hi everyone,

A month ago I started to hear a noise in my right ear which is not very high pitched, around 1 kHz. I rested my ears for two weeks but somehow it aggravated as I now hear a lot of different sounds and electric signals I don't even want to count them. They don't bother me that much though because they only become loud when I'm in my bed in silence for a few minutes.

What bother me most is that I've become very intolerant to certain sounds. First basic sounds are way louder than before and sometimes something vibrate in my ear even when I'm talking. A lot of stuff doesn't sound like they used to for example water or plastic bags. My biggest problem is that when I hear for example a fridge, buzzing sounds or some fan (my laptop fan too unfortunately), one and two frequency stand out and become very loud and makes me feel uncomfortable. My question is should I still keep those sounds in the background in order to habituate to then hoping they won't bother me anymore or will listening to them make my tolerance level worst?

Strange thing is that loudness doesn't seem to bother me that much even though my ears feel exhausted faster.

Thanks

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @VRZ78
      You are describing all the symptoms of hyperacusis with tinnitus. Have you been listening to loud music through headphones or attending venues, clubs etc where music has been playing loud? If so, then I'd advise you to keep away from loud music for a while. Please click on the link below and read the post as you might find it helpful.
      All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Thanks for your reply.

Music is my favorite thing I have been listening to it via headphones for a long time. I would usually keep an eye on the volume but also allow myselft some good time by cranking it.
      I don't go to clubs that much and rarely concerts.

I hadn't listened really loud for two month as I had to stay in bed at my parents house all day to recover from an operation (nothing to do with ears). One day though the house was empty and I listened on my bluetooth speaker at about 2/3 of the volume for something like two hours, that was like 5 days before the noise started.

I havn't listen to anything since it started though, only Youtube videos at lowest level via headphones (I find that speaker are harder to tolearate). What's strange is that if I'm in a car with the music at average level (my parents) I'm not bothered that much.

I've been to the doctor to have my hearing checked and it told me it was perfect...

I'll read your post.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @VRZ78 . Thank you for the information that you've given. If you want to get yourself better then I advise you to not listen to music through headphones again ever, even at low volume. The tinnitus and hyperacusis that you are suffering from in my opinion, is a direct result of listening to loud music through headphones over a long period of time. Believe me I know what I'm talking about because what's happening to you is the same thing that caused my tinnitus 20 years ago. If you don't want a life of misery please follow my advice and don't listen to music through headphones again and be careful of playing music loud in the car.

Even if ENT Drs tell you headphones are fine to listen to music if the volume is kept low--I'm telling you it is not. ENT Doctors know all about the anatomy of the ear but the majority of them have never experienced loud intrusive tinnitus and hyperacusis.

The tinnitus and hyperacusis is a warning and if you persist wearing headphones and listening to music; in my opinion your symptoms will get a lot worse.
      Although your symptoms might improve if you act now, you may need to go to ENT for treatment.
      Sorry to sound so sobering.
      All the best
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Its going to be hard but I'll try... I'm going to get some speakers that I'll play at the lowest at least because I don't think I'll survive without music or some videos...

It has been quite hard for me because I already have a really low sight, which is why I particulary enjoy music and sound in general. Having this is restricting even more the things I'm allowed to to....

I'm starting class at university again tomorrow I hope I'll be fine. (The only thing I'm worried about is the projector fan and laptop fans in the classroom, I hope their sounds will be drawn by others)

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @VRZ78 I know it isn't easy because I am a HI-FI enthusiast and used to listen to music through high quality headphones but when my tinnitus and hyperacusis started I had to give it up, and I haven't listened to music through headphones in 20 years. I listen to my music through speakers at sensible levels. Believe me, you don't want to experience what I have and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Best of luck.

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      What do you mean by low sight @VRZ78

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I have albinism, so my eyes are only 1.5/10 (It's the French scale, I don't know for other countries)