New

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GlennC, Dec 28, 2016.

1. GlennC

GlennC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Continued effects of HF communication, white noise. Military
      Hi. My name is Glenn. I've had ringing in my ears, mostly high pitched but sometimes different frequencies in each ear since 1997. I have loss of hearing, and as of late the noise is becoming louder, to the point that I am having a hard time concentrating on what someone is saying to me. I have in the past been able to ignore the noise, but it's getting more and more difficult as time goes by. I'm scared, and don't know what to do.

2. wags
      Wishful

wags Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      Hey Glenn, welcome to the forum!

19 years of tinnitus is quite a long time. I'm amazed! I hope I have the fortitude to carry on that long. T changing is one of the most frustrating things, especially if you've had it and it gets louder... When was the last time you had an ENT visit, to perhaps rule out any physical causes that have cropped up?

3. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      How have you been dealing with your T since 97? How much worse did it get recently? any causes?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GlennC

GlennC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Basically just just ignoring it for the most part. It's just been a factor in my life that I can't change. As far as what caused it to get worse lately, I have no idea.

5. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Welcome to the forum @GlennC !
      How strange that your symptoms are increasing after 20 years. Have you had your hearing tested recently? You list white noise as a cause of your tinnitus. Do you believe that using white noise contributed to your situation?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GlennC

GlennC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely. The HF frequency spectrum is affected greatly by atmospheric conditions. I spent 3 years working with that in particular. I didn't have the ringing prior to transteering to that duty station.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      That is a good attitude. If your T can be ignored and that you have accepted the new normal, you are on the right path. As far as the reason for the T increase, it can be many things. There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including by not limited to:

Drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, head trauma & injury, neck problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from rapid change of atmospheric pressure, ear or head slapping, grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

If your T spikes, it may be due to one or more of the above, or nothing (lol). T is unpredictable so it is hard to explain the spike. So hang in there. It may just fade. Try masking it if it bothers you. Take good care. God bless.