Newbie — Uncertain of Cause and Permanence

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hartstreet, Nov 12, 2019.

1. hartstreet

hartstreet Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Hi all - I’ve been poking around on this site for a few weeks after some tinnitus appeared suddenly. It’s been really cool to see this community for tinnitus sufferers, and I’m finally introducing myself.

I’m a late-30s male who recently started experiencing tinnitus, seemingly primarily or only in my left ear, after a series of health issues and life events. So, it’s be very challenging to understand what may have caused it (particularly when I understand we don’t know what causes this condition anyway!)

But, long story short, I had a bad sinus infection, which I get semi-frequently, which seemed to lodge itself in the affected ear, and was simultaneously going through a very stressful time in life, and quit using cannabis. So, a few potential contributing factors.

I went to the ENT, who basically shipped me over to an audiologist, and a hearing test confirmed minor hearing loss at high frequencies in both ears. Of course, I have no baseline, and wouldn’t be surprised if that was already the case, but the ENT wiped his hands and called it done. I’ve seen a theme on this site of people noting ENTs don’t understand or seem to care to understand tinnitus and that definitely felt the case for me.

So, I’m left with tinnitus primarily in my left ear, any withdrawal effects from cannabis would be over and I’ve managed my stress down considerably with therapy and other efforts. But the tinnitus persists.

I’m mostly confused why it started, why in one ear (particularly with bilateral, minor hearing loss), and -everyone’s concern- will it possibly go away.

I intend to see a new ENT after I get new insurance and see my GP in the new year, but appreciate any thoughts and mostly wanted to say hello and thanks for a cool, helpful forum that seeks to keep people informed when lots of doctors don’t seem to want to bother addressing such a complicated issue.

thx!

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, acoustic neuroma tumor, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

It looks like stress plus hearing loss could have caused it from your description. But other factors such as sinus, drug side effects etc are known to cause that too. As for going away, no one can be sure but the odds are good for mild ones to fade over time to the point that you either can't hear it or you can habituate to it that you are not aware of it most of the time. So don't worry too much about the future. The more calm and positive you are, the more likely your brain can fade out T to let you habituate to it. Good luck and take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartstreet

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Thanks Billie48. My evolving working theory is that my tinnitus was a result of the sinus infection, but exacerbated by the stress I had/have been experiencing. As such, I’m working on building confidence that this will develop in a positive direction.

One peculiar thing I noticed that can shut off the unilateral tinnitus in my left ear is flushing my eustachian tubes and middle ear. I do this using a sinus rinse bottle (NeilMed) and performing the valsalva maneuver right after, before I’m even completed drained. As the isotonic solution enters my middle ear it silences the tinnitus on my left side.

It stays quiet even after I’ve blown it out, but there is a much quieter bilateral tinnitus that remains and eventually the whole set comes back.

But, I’m hopeful this is a sign that some of what I’m experiencing could be a result of a physical condition that can and will heal with time.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Thx!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartstreet

Tinnitus Since:
      10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      I also want to reiterate billie48’s good point. Perhaps it’s because stress seems an inevitable cause/aggravator for my tinnitus, I’ve definitely seen a decrease in sound (or at least a decrease in the amount it distresses me) as a result of my efforts to ignore it instead of letting it stress me out. Of course, it’s not always easy advice to take, but I do continue to try to focus on other things and stay positive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1