Newbie from Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Patrickgpiper, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Patrickgpiper

Patrickgpiper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      Hey Y’all!

I am a 68 year old male in reasonably good health. Just over a year ago I woke up with what I assumed was a plugged left ear and tinnitus. Living with a dog and being allergic to dog dander, I had become habituated to chronic congestion and earaches which I treated with decongestants and ibuprofen with success.

But this time the ear remained plugged for several days, so I went to the urgent care center and was diagnosed with an ear infection and antibiotics were prescribed. After finishing the antibiotic treatment, the symptoms remained so I went to my primary care physician who prescribed another round of antibiotics,

The symptoms persisted and I was referred to an ENT who did all the tests (audiology, balance, MRI, etc.) and advised that I did not have Menieres Disease as feared (I also had bouts of dizziness and vertigo) but had SSHL with 30% hearing loss in my left ear which he attributed to a viral infection and no further treatment was advised other than referring to an audiologist for a hearing aid (which I haven’t done...yet).

So a year later, nothing has changed. I flush my sinuses every morning and follow with Flonase and/or Afrin in a semi-successful attempt to treat my congestion and have purchased two Dyson air purifiers for my home. I’m hoping when the dog goes to heaven, my symptoms will improve and remain hopeful that one morning I will wake to improved hearing and reduced tinnitus but have become pretty much habituated to it and accept that I may be stuck with it for the long haul.

I find these forums quite helpful and comforting to know I am not alone with this condition and continue to look for helpful tips on how to manage this unfortunate imposition on my peace of mind.

Best wishes to all for improved health in the New Year!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to the forum :)

Your attitude towards tinnitus is wonderful, keep remaining positive....

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Florida is such a nice place for us Canadians in winter. I just came back last month from a cruise of the Caribbean on the Harmony of the Seas departing from Fort Lauderdale. Oh those nice beaches and long fishing piers. How I wish I can stay there for winter like the Canadian snow geese. Lol.

You surely can learn nice tips from others. There are nice strategies shared in the success stories, and there are treatments or alternative treatments discussed here. So feel free to browse the forum. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1