Newby

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Euryale, May 17, 2015.

1. Euryale

Euryale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2000
      Hi, I just stumbled across these forums after being hit by my tinnitus, and I'm very glad I found it.

I've had tinnitus for ages - I'm not even sure how long, but I'd be willing to say the majority of my life (as long as I can remember anyway, so perhaps my entire life) and because of this, I don't think I was ever bothered by it. Yeah, it was there and I suppose I always knew it was there, but I didn't care and so didn't really hear it - my silence was just a little more noisy than most.

However, being the idiot I am, I decided to look at a video taking about mysterious occurrences, and came across something called the Hum. I decided that it was a good idea to listen to this and, well, let's just say that it was not a good idea; it made me very aware of every little sound, and freak out about every little sound, until my tinnitus came back into my mind and I started getting freaked out about that.

Now, for the past week, it seems to be very loud and intrusive; I'm almost certain that it hasn't actually gotten worse, but as I keep paying attention to it, I keep making it appear worse, and that kind of sucks. The sound itself is a (usually quiet) hissing sound, not unlike static.

Now, unfortunately, I'm getting quite upset at the fact that it's there and this isn't doing me any favours; added to the fact that most articles on tinnitus are really, well, let's say 'pessimistic' and that my exams are soon, I see myself slowing sinking into a stress induced depression.

So, I suppose I'm here because I'm looking for a little bit of a positive outlook on tinnitus, and good coping techniques for when it seems bad :)

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Dude. You sound like you should stay off t sites. Just protect your ears anytime there is any risk of sound exposure and clear your mind. Focus on your exams!

3. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think you can get back to where you were before the "hum" thing. Just concentrate on your exams. I think it will just become an acceptable part of your subconscious