Nodding and Sleep Turn My Tinnitus On and Off

Discussion in 'Support' started by The pizza man, Mar 2, 2018.

1. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      Nodding and sleep turn my tinnitus on and off. I noticed that when my tinnitus isn't bothering me and I nod off I wake up with the tinnitus. This mostly happens when I relax after supper. I will be doing fine then I nod off and my tinnitus is there. This will happen even in the afternoon if I nod. Then it is hard to get rid of.

One way I get rid of it is trying to get to sleep. I force myself to go to sleep. Then when I wake up it is gone

This works sometimes but not all the time. Sometimes when I'm doing good and go to bed I will wake up like 2 o'clock am and the tinnitus will be there. I force myself back to sleep.

When I wake up again and it is still there I force myself back to sleep again. I keep doing this until it is gone. Then I get up and have a good day. I have to make sure to get up if it's gone. Because if I wake up and it's gone then I fall back to sleep it will come back.

I feel like there is a switch in my head that turns my Tinnitus on and off. I get so pissed at myself when I'm doing good then I nod and it brings on my tinnitus.

I've been doing great for the past three days. I caught myself getting ready to nod this afternoon but kept doing great. Then I started to nod after supper this evening and told my wife not to let me nod. Well she fell asleep and I screwed up and nodded. Then I woke up and the T was there.

My ears and head are hissing now. It's time to fight it with trying to get to sleep. I hope I can win the battle by the time I get up and out of bed tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

2. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      This actually seems to be a pretty common thing. Though I wonder if part of nodding off also means your neck is tense from it flopping about? When you nod off sitting, or however, it might be awkward on your neck?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      That's what my wife was thinking. It usually happens when I'm kicked back in my recliner. She said maybe it's a position thing. It really bums me out when I'm doing great with my T then I nod out and blow it.

4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Don't drive yourself crazy trying to control your tinnitus. I have made this mistake. We don't want to cause the brain to think that something is terribly wrong, and that is exactly what is happening when your emotions flare up -- the tinnitus will be even more prominent because it's perceived as a threat.

Here's the motto I learned: Let Tinnitus Do What It Does.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I'll try not to drive myself crazy trying to control my tinnitus. But I don't like what it does to me.

6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't like it, either. The tinnitus can't do anything to make us upset, without our cooperation. By accepting tinnitus, it will lose it's power, which it never really had in the first place. I'm not there yet myself, but will be eventually, and so will you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I HOPE so.

8. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Today I woke up with low tinnitus.

A nap in the afternoon got tinnitus high again.

Second nap tinnitus went low again.

I am convinced sleep is a switch for tinnitus.

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Me too. Sometimes I wake up T free and it only comes back once I'm up and about. Probably circadian rhythms. Maybe the cure or a treatment could come out of understanding this.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I am convinced also Tony. If I wake up in the morning and my T is real low but still there I lay there and relax. I try to nod and fall back asleep. Most of the time I will wake back up T free and have a great day. But once I wake up like that I have to get right up and not fall back to sleep. Sometimes I can shake it if I wake up and it is real bad but usually not. I have went on stretches of 7 and 8 days T free. I always hope maybe my T is gone but then it comes back. When it does come back it gets pretty bad for a few days then it will go away. I woke up T free this morning at 5:00 am and got right up. No afternoon nap for me or nodding for me tonight and I hope I can keep my T away for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      It would be nice if that could happen. It's hard for me to believe that nobody can figure this out.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      I feel as though I am your twin brother.What you are going through is exactly identical to what is happening to me.I think our golden rule will be when you wake up and T is low don't waste anymore time in bed just get up, and rule 2 no afternoon naps if T is low.

14. Mark5398

Mark5398 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss?
      That's fascinating. In my case it is always louder in the middle of the night or when I wake up in the morning.

15. hokydokybloky

hokydokybloky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety Attacks
      My tinnitus started when I had anxiety attacks, still there after a year and a half, I also find that nodding off through tiredness can send the hissing in my ears into orbit and I agree that in my case at least that the process of sleep and sleepiness is a trigger for my tinnitus, I wake up with it loudly every morning but it can lessen during the day, but returns with vengence if I start nodding off, it has taken me a year to habitualise so I don't care anymore whether it's loud or quiet, I have fully accepted it's a part of me now.