Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Tinnitus via Concert

Discussion in 'Support' started by Spiral, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Has any of the NIHL tinnitus folks experienced any improvements over time? Not just habituation.

I went to a concert and went to the very front (not something I normally do without protection, actually the first and only time without them at a concert). My loudness awareness was completely shot since I didn't sleep the night before (excited because I had actually won tickets, I wasn't even going to go, oh the irony!) so I didn't move for most of the concert. So there I was for about 2 hours, not in front of the speakers but obviously very loud without protection. Very high blockage for about a week and a fullness in my ears that was not helped by the fact that I had to fly soon aftwards. Going to loud bars, clubs and being a guitarist/singer in a band in my youth probably didn't help either.

Now I have a little friend in both of my ears - worse in my right ear. Ultra high-end hearing loss. The best way that I can describe it is high hissing in both, morse code at different frequencies in both (reactive to sound) and a high pitched whistle in the right.

Throw on top of that going to school and working full time, the stress was unbearable. I just wanted to quit. Quit everything and just live under a bridge. Forget all of my responsibilities and once the T fades to an acceptible level to resume my life as it was before... There will likely be a divide in my life - before my T, and after.

March of 2017 will be a month that I will remember for the rest of my life. If I get better or habituate, I swear I will never complain about anything minor ever again!

Please somebody tell me that it gets better. I don't want to set an arbitrary date that I will be better/well adjusted by because that will only set up disappointment.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus did subside a bit over a month or so after the initial exposure. Maybe it subsided more over the months afterwards. After 8 months or so, I was habituated to the point where it didn't bother me anymore in my daily life.

The hardest part, for me, was giving up a career in music, playing with friends, going to (loud) concerts etc. I'm still struggling with that. The tinnitus and slight hearing loss I have are a bit of a nuisance when listening to records, but the latter is still enjoyable.

If your life was/is not centered around noisy activities, then you're probably going to be just fine. Just give it some time. Being busy, like you are, is a great way to do that. Just try to avoid stressful situations.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Aaron_J
      Spaced

Aaron_J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I felt the same way when my tinnitus started in February. It's hard to say what was responsible for my tinnitus improving, as I've taken steroids, eased up on headphone use as well as changing my diet. I'd say that steroids did wonders for both my hearing and T, but the improvements faded after a week on the two times they were willing to prescribe it to me.
      Diet is a huge factor too for me, if I don't watch my sodium intake it gets noticeably worse. I would say diet is where I would start, and try to do something that relieves the stress of T (it's really hard to deal with the first couple months, I know).

I think if you take care of your ears, and eat healthier (if you haven't already), you should expect some improvements. I'm at the point where I think my hearing loss bothers me more than my T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's going to be so difficult though as music was/is a huge part of my life. I don't know what's worse, the hearing loss or the T. I've significantly cut back playing guitar & singing because even with earplugs it upsets the T for a day or two. The thought of not playing anymore is downright depressing. Do you still play anymore?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Diet will definitely impact it as I've cut out caffeine completely. The hissing/higher end T comes in full force and becomes noticable after drink just a glass of green tea. It may take 7 or 8 hours but those neurons start firing faster and faster and it's difficult to manage a volume increase so I cut it out. I noticed that I'm a lot more calm in general, sleep better and feel better at work.

6. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I posted a reply here, but afterwards TinnitusTalk went down and now it's gone :meh:

Anyway, if it's a part of your life then that really sucks... :(

I quit playing professionally, there's just no way. I did play a couple of one-off gigs with earplugs and was fine. But two weeks ago I played with some local musicians just for fun (with earplugs) and my ears are still muffled and ringing louder, even though that band was about as quiet as you can get with drums.
      I was looking forwards to spending the summer vacation doing lots of writing and homerecording, but yesterday I got a low fleeting tinnitus tone and that really scared me. And I've only been playing electric guitar where the acoustic sound of the strings is about as loud as the amp. I'll take it easy for now and hopefully I'll recover, but I'm still unsure of where the limit is.

At what volume are you playing guitar and singing? I'd be surprised if playing at conversation-level would be damaging in any way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      mine came on from a lame retirement banquet not even a concert and it went away almost completely within about a month an a half. I have a normal audiogram if that matters to you.

i protect my ears at any loud events and carry plugs on my keychain just incase. i think mine was caused by earbuds but it's funny i never had any long term tinnitus till that banquet and i hadn't used headgear of any kind in months before that. You have to be vigilant about your ears more than ever before now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I hear ya, finding the right noise level is difficult after you've had an exposure. Is acoustic guitar going going turn up the T, will singing?? If you sing you vibrate on the inner ear so that can't help.

I'm sorry to hear that your struggling like me. The best thing that you can do is cover your ears when you play guitar and try not to let the T control your life. It will get better, it's got to!

I've cut back playing and the playing that I do I always wear earplugs. I almost want to say the earplugs might even contribute. So at least the external exposure shouldn't be that loud. But regardless, the H and T will be higher the next day.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's been so bad that I even avoid going to bars and loud places. Hell, event at restaurants when people have loud birthdays I have to excuse myself into the other room because the pain is unbearable and the T gets worse. I keep a pair of earplugs on me just in case but to be quite honest I haven't gotten over the stigma of being in public places and wearing them.

My audigram is normal in the regular hearing range. My right ear goes up to 14000 hz with minor losses in 13000 hz and my left goes up to 15000 hz and I hear a ghost note at up to 16000 hz. Listening to music is just fine (at regular volumes when T doesn't bother me that is).

10. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I was lucky enough to never have H, though I feel some sensitivity to higher-frequency sounds (dishes or metal clanking). They don't cause actual pain, but my right ear (non-T) will flutter a bit. All my sensitivity symptoms match something called TTTS.

Anyway, all this is to say that I still mix and record music successfully, tho it is difficult because you have to be EXTRA cautious (especially around drummers). But luckily the guys I work with all know about my ears and are VERY respectful. If they are going to "crank" it, they warn me first, giving me time to insert my earplugs or just leave the room.

Here is a song I mixed a few weeks ago: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9VAYQ-M3j_UDFXQU5ObFBZdFE

11. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Man, you gotta get over that shit (the bit about being self-concious about what people may think of your earplugs). Peoples opinions aren't worth what will happen to your psyche should you do some further damage.

Come hang out with me and we'll go to a bar & I'll wear earplugs with you. Mine are bright neon green with neon green cord as well, and zero f's are given.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Spiral i keep a pair of discreet ear plugs from amazon on my keys -- check out "ear peace" ear phones. no ones ever noticed them on me -- i just ordered the brown pair cause i'm guessing they would be more discreet than the nude color ones. i'm gonna wear them at my own wedding. the risk outweighs the stigma to me :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus now goes up and down a bit. Two days ago it was almost back to normal. Yesterday, I had to do some school administration (enrolling for classes etc.), which reminded me of how horrible this school is and immediately my stress-levels went through the roof again. I then went to play piano (upright, closed) and sing for 10 to 15 minutes or so. Afterwards I had a spike again for the rest of the day.

It's hard to tell what causes it, but I think playing has an effect. I always sing when I play, even for instrumental music I have a strong tendency to hum along. I'm guessing that soft playing is okay, but loud strumming may have an effect.
      I don't wear earplugs as I don't want to encourage the slight hyperacusis I have. I've also been told that there is the idea that hearing will recover better when there's regular input, instead of (near) total silence.

Singing may be less harmful than hearing that sound from an outside source, because the body `knows' it's coming. I thought scientists discovered that the hearing is `turned down' a bit to prevent damage when a person is screaming. Now with me, screaming and singing aren't necessarily the same, but I guess it will apply as well.

14. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't have "full on" hyperacusis, but I guess I have the same thing as you. I'm more sensitive to sounds like a spoon hitting a dish. I do hear distortion in one ear on some short percussive sounds as well. I looked up TTTS and the function of the tensor timpani muscle is exactly what I referred to in my post to @Spiral !
      It also said "This startle reflex is made worse if you are particularly stressed or anxious.", which might explain exactly why I'm more sensitive to noise now...
      I have some symptoms of TTTS: ear pain (sometimes), neck pain (always), tinnitus (ringing but not clicking or fluttering sounds), full feeling ears (probably ETD) and muffled hearing.

It's really great that you can still record and mix! Having respectful musicians around you must be nice :)
      I'll listen to your song later today when I'm plugged into monitors instead of laptop speakers (y)

15. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Damn straight! My earplugs are a glorious Red, White and Blue. Made in the US of A (packaged in Mexico.)

When anyone asks me why I'm wearing earplugs, I stand up tall and say "Pardon me? I can't hear you with these things in my ears."

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thanks for the kind words! I went out the other night and I wore them. I was a little uncomfortable but other people's opinion isn't worth getting a T spike.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Just get her to bust out with some matching earplugs and y'all would be set! :)

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I think you're onto something there. I feel like wearing earplugs made the problem worse while playing + singing. Not only did it make it worse for the T (with a spike later) but the H would be worse. My ears would get sore from wearing earplugs too much. So it is important not to overprotect. Ever since I stopped wearing earplugs when I play, the T doesn't spike as loud past the baseline (which is still constant & loud, but at least it is better).

One thing that I would check is the volume that you're playing and singing at. If you are playing for a while, make sure that you step out to give your ears a break because you can accumulate damage if you don't. The H will get better if you get your ears used to a certain volume.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hahaha. i am the "her" and He already wears plugs no matter where we go so ya i bought him a set too! lol