Occlusion and Yelling

Discussion in 'Support' started by John Carter, Apr 9, 2018.

1. John Carter

John Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yelling
      Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I am very anxious about my situation. I was yelling several times earlier and had my hand blocking my ears. Not sure why I did that. Well both of my ears but more so the left one have a feeling of fullness. Will this go away? Is this related to the yelling while covering my ears with my hands??

I blocked my ears with my hands and it does create a nice seal, ear plugs like. I am worried about occlusion too as I read it increases the sound by 20 dB. Yelling is 105 dB more or less... I do not have any ringing in my ears but the fullness sensation is uncomfortable... Please let me know thanks.

2. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      so talking with earplugs makes the sound louder inside the ear?

the fullness could go away, I think, I had that several times, been free of that for two weeks but the tinnitus is still here and not improving....

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Carter

John Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yelling
      That's what I read online. It's called the occlusion effect. So yelling without covering my ear would probably have not caused any issues but because I yelled several times with my hands cupped over my ears, I created an even louder sound. The fullness is still present, mainly in the left ear, I am not imagining this as I felt that sensation when I was done yelling. Is there anything that I can do? Do I need to go see a ENT?

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Yes, it is indeed the occlusion effect. When the ears are open, vibrations can escape, but when the ears are occluded (e.g. with hands) the vibrations have nowhere to go, sounds get trapped and amplified

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Carter

John Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yelling
      So in other words, I may have messed up my ears permanently due to the yelling with my hands over my ears?? I've seen people yelling, screaming, singing loudly with noise cancelling headphones before, that would give them the same effect?

6. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The damage won't be permanent but give your ears a rest for a while

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Carter

John Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yelling
      Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate it. I hope you are right. The pressure, fullness in my left ear is horrible. I feel really stupid.

8. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't feel stupid, just try and avoid noise for a couple of hours

9. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      The occlusion effect was reason I decided not to use earplugs. I'm sorry I have nothing to give but consolations. What is done is done and you are absolutely safe now, isn't it? The ringing will lessen and just wait 2 weeks and you'll forget all about this.