Odd Tones in Certain Environments

Discussion in 'Support' started by parsky, Dec 14, 2017.

1. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have some HL from ~1200 to 1560Hz in my right ear. My tinnitus is at 1560Hz and I've had it for about a year. Just 2 days ago I started getting this 1180Hz tone in my ear at work. Appears to have to do with the noise of the HVAC system. It isn't real because my good ear doesn't hear it and when I go into another room it isn't there, just the usualy 1560Hz tinnitus. My desk fan doesn't even help to mask it.

What could this be?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I thought this was happening to me too. Turns out I was developing a new tone. Might be a sign you should take it easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been. I've been wearing ear dial plugs to athletic games. Anything over 85dB the plugs or the earmuffs go on. I don't hear this "new tone" when I put the earmuffs on.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hmm... I just figured out I'm Diplacusis at that frequency. To match the tones the "bad" ear needs the frequency to be 20Hz higher. :(

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The fan doesn't even mask it. It actually seems to just get louder with more white noise. If I go in a quiet room its gone. Any ideas?

6. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      This would happen to me where sometimes I preferred being in a silent room. I just try not to think about it and some days are better than others. Still learning but your T sounds very similar to mine.