Oh Look Another Successful Visit to the ENT...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Apologies in advance for the length and the fact this may not be the most well written of posts.

I was taking a break from this site as I have some personal issues I have to deal with and need to give my full energy and concentration to them but after my ENT appointment today I feel the need to rant a bit as I feel so sad and angry.

Soooo I had my appointment at the ENT (after they cancelled twice) feels like a complete waste of my time. I was going into it this knowing currently there is no cure and didn’t have any expectations in regards to a cure, I was hoping to at least try and find out how my T was caused ( I’m assuming it was caused by either the result of having a severe cold/chest infection as it came on during this or maybe headphone use as I used them at the gym)
      Anyway I had an hearing test, all perfect within the normal testing range so I’m assuming I probably have hidden hearing loss as well, the audiologist was very vague when I asked about this and why they don’t test the full range.

Aaaaand then my time to see the actual ENT Ronald Mcfeckingdonald doctor, went into the room to which he then asked about why I’m here so I explained (my anxiety was there but I was trying to stay calm and breathe).

The doctor then goes on to try and tell me about tinnitus or should I say his thoughts on it (now I’m far from an expert on tinnitus and since I’ve had tinnitus my thoughts and ability to retain information seems to be so bad to the point I had to give up doing my degree and I’m in and out of work) the fact I knew more than him is so disheartening. He then literally waffles on about “habituation” and how in time I’ll be fine and I won’t give it a second thought. He looked in my ears and said they look fine, I didn’t get asked if my balance was ok? Do I get headaches? Nothing!! Maybe I should have asked to see his credentials eh?

I’m well aware that they deal with more the surgical side of things but he knew so little about tinnitus that I burst out crying and then had a bloody panic attack. I feel like medically we don’t have anywhere to turn for help, all the medical “professionals” I’ve seen so far have been little or no help and the answer from them seems to be “here take a pill” or you’ll get used to it blah blah blah while I know medication can help some I have no issue with that, myself personally I would like to try and work this out without getting medication shoved in my fecking face.

The fact tinnitus has no physical symptoms so to speak and the medical community is big on “coping mechanisms” instead of putting more time and money into an actual cure or at least something that actually takes the volume down a few notches makes me so sad and angry.

I want to be more active in raising awareness but how do we start? Everything I see seems to get no traction at all, it’s like tinnitus isn’t seen as a “big deal” If I’m being honest in my current state I’m no help to anybody, I want to help I truly do but sometimes I feel like I’m losing my shit. Big groups of people seem to make so anxious, I feel like I’m always one step away from losing it.... my concentration is totally shot. I’m far from a negative person and I’m a big believer in positive thinking but I just feel so low and alone today.

Anywhooooo I’m done with my rant and hopefully I feel a bit more postive tomorrow?! think I’ll disappear for a few months and go on a spiritual quest or some shit.......

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Yep, I only went to the ENT once since I've had T. They literally can't tell you anything that you couldn't Google from the comfort of your own house, the only thing that they helped me with was discovering that i had slight hearing loss in my left ear...that's all good but...now what? There's no cure for T and they wont be able to make it go away permanently, a few people here had ENTs who experimented on them for funsies and it only resulted in louder T. Nope and nope.

Also, I agree...people need to take breaks from the forum and not try to meld with the anxiety and paranoia that sometimes serves as a double edged sword around these parts. I know I do. Peace and best of luck to ya!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @Jcb

I can't offer much except support and telling you I understand the frustration and sadness you're feeling right now. I do agree with the idea of keeping a positive mindset, but it's a tough row to hoe, sometimes. The forums can be great -- most often they are for me, as I've connected with some really wonderful people here -- but there's always that visit when I stumble across a post that somehow manages to ramp up my anxiety. (Not anyone's fault -- it's just the way someone might express themselves at any given moment -- sort of an internet forum equivalent of those unexpected loud noises that happen before we can get the ear plugs in or the ear muffs on!)

From your post it seems like you might have already gone on another forum hiatus, so I'm not sure when you'll read this -- just know that I'm sending you the best and hope that things will take a turn for the better for you, soon.

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wouldn't have such lack of respects (full of despise is actually more accurate) for ENTs, or any doctors for that matter, if not for their ignorance of T, or rather, pretence of understanding. It will be all good if they just say they don't know or there isn't much they can do, because it's the truth. Instead they pull something like "it should go away in few months" out of their ass, as if they know, or "come see me if it does not go away in three months", as if they know what to do then. The funny thing is I actually already know more than they do. I did meet one who is actually honest about nothing he can do, out of many though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      If you tell a patient there's nothing you can do for them, that patient won't come back and you won't get paid. You want them to keep coming back and keep trying experiments. It really sucks =\

6. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You should try taking lipoflavanoid plus and Niacin but the original not the generic from your ENT, maybe thay will help.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Jcb While reading your post, I realized that there are people like myself dealing with the frustration and aggravation of having tinnitus while seeking help. I tend not to read long posts (short attention span?) but I related to yours and your unfortunate experience with the ENT. May this bring you the peace you rightly deserve.
      Mike

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Couldn’t agree more in what you’ve said.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will be going for a few months, I have a lot on at the moment so it’s best I concentrate on that. I appreciate your kind reply my friend and agree there are so many lovley people on here who have been so supportive and helpful.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ll take a look into this, thanks Striveon.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it’s so frustrating and even more disheartening, you just feel like you have nowhere to turn. I feel less agitated and angry today so I’ll keep going forward eh......

• Like Like x 1
    12. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      The fact that there is nobody that can help you and nowhere to turn is probably one of the big reasons for anxiety...
      We are pretty much on our own, facing a level of torture that could be compared to something experienced by a person dying of terminal ilness and yet nobody seems to care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      You're absolutely right in everything you say.

14. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Jcb I know this is an old post but I wanted to say I'm sorry you had to go through that. I wish there was an answer.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      You can get sued. My ent told.me that i have brain cancer,blood cancer,thryroid cancer,meneire. I was supposed to begin VRT. Vestibular retraining therapy because they believed that i damaged the labyrinth in both ears.

16. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Your ENT told you that you actually, undoubtedly had three different types of cancer? Or did he tell you that you possibly could have one of those types of cancer given your symptoms?

17. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could

18. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thanks for clarifying. Could have is not the same as have. An ENT telling you that you have cancer is a diagnosis, saying you could have is saying it’s possible but not certain.

19. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      with tinnitus, hyperacusis, and damage to outer hair cells/inner hair cells? how would that be cancer. To me it sounds like noise induced trauma.

20. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      One of the things they try to rule out with t is a tumor on your hearing nerve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Tinnitus can be a symptom of a cancerous or non-cancerous tumor. A tumor pressing on the auditory nerve or blood vessels near the ear will impact hearing. Here’s another example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ca...ion-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html