Old Man, New Forum, Ancient Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Claud Y., Oct 16, 2015.

1. Claud Y.
      Caffeine

Claud Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.. Possible medications, loud music, head trauma @ 18
      Howdy from Austin, Texas...

I just found this forum and have spent the last couple of hours pouring over the posts and the responses. What a great amount of information all in a single place.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Claud (no e) and I've been diagnosed with acute tinnitus for the last 4 years, but been suffering with it since approx 1999/2000.

I used to attend lots of live music venues (photographer for a Band out of Scotland) and thought that my ringing was just part of being around the music. I never paid attention to it existing prior to that.

Once I stopped attending the music, I realized that the ringing in my ears was not going away. About 4 years ago, I went to get it checked out and found that I had a large blank area in my hearing range, and that the tinnitus was due to the hearing loss. I asked the normal questions about hearing aides, medications, etc. and received the normal answers.

At the time, I was dealing with quite a few other medical issues and really didn't want to add another pill to my routine. Hearing Aides were questionable as to the worth of them for tinnitus, so I just decided that I would listen to a lot of music via some headphones at low enough volumes to mask the ringing/buzzing/tones.

The tinnitus is getting worse, and my music volume is having to increase to continue to mask it. That causes problems with my working, so I have had to discontinue that "treatment" until after the workday, and then it's awkward as my Wife is left out.

This may seem like a minor issue to many folks, but as we, on this forum, know, it's horrible for both family members and ourselves.

I hope to learn much for the experiences of others. I hope I have something to share that others will find of value. I also am here to support others that have this obnoxious and annoying ailment that can impact so many with no visible signs of an issue.

Thanks for listening!

Claud Y.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to TT, Claud. We sure can learn something from a T veteran such as you. Anyone who can live with bad T for that long and still living a normal life is worthy of admiration. Feel free to contribute where you can as we have many new T sufferers needing help.