One-Sided Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Knotic94, May 4, 2015.

1. Knotic94

Knotic94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, please for give me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. However, I figured I'd introduce myself and my tinnitus.

My name is Charlie, and I'm currently 20 years old. About a week ago around April 25th, I caught a sudden ringing in my left ear, and only my left ear. I left it alone originally because I had just gotten a build up of wax out of my ears. However, the wax had been out days before it started ringing. Since it didn't get better, I went to the doctor and was told I have an allergy/ear infection. I was prescribed medicine and it doesn't seem to be helping. I have somewhat bad allergies, but I figured the medicine would have worked by now since I have been on it for a few days now. I'm aware that one sided tinnitus could be a sign of a tumor, but I've had not other side affects.

Long story short is, I have one sided ringing in my left ear, I have had no expose to loud noise since the last time I went to a concert, which was all the way back in December. I also have no trouble hearing out of it, however there is a slight "full" feeling. It would also help to mention that I had tubes in my ears when I was 2 years old. Could it be something related to that?

Also, what are the chances that this will be permanent? I've read that if it lasts past 6 months it could be permanent. It changes in volume and almost seem to worsen (get louder) with psychical activity. It doesn't keep me from sleeping, and doesn't really bother me. I'm just curios if I'm stuck with the sound forever.

2. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi Charlie,

First of all, welcome to Tinnitus Talk. You've come to the right place.

Secondly, I'd ask a few questions:
      • What does your "ringing" sound like? Is it a high-pitched whistle? A low-pitched hum? Does it oscillate, pulsate, or change rhythmically?

• When your doctor prescribed you antibiotics, did s/he note that there was any buildup of fluid behind your ear drum? Do your allergies cause sinus congestion, headache, etc.?

• Did your doctor prescribe you prednisone, or some other steroid, to help with the inflammation? Antibiotics alone will not address severe neuromuscular inflammation, which is common in cases of allergies. A standard 7-day taper of prednisone will confirm this by day 4.

• Have you recently had your wisdom teeth out in the past 24 months?
      Your tinnitus appears to have an anecdotal relationship with your allergies, and you have done what you are supposed to do. Generally speaking, if you have Tinnitus that lasts for days on end, there is a chronic problem that needs to be addressed before the Tinnitus will resolve itself. Because it's very early (it's been just over a week!), there is a great probability that your tinnitus will dramatically improve with time, though it may take several weeks before you notice this improvement. However, most cases of Tinnitus that last for days on end like yours, do not resolve entirely without first addressing the underlying cause. In your case, if it's allergies, addressing your allergies should provide you with substantial relief.

I will keep you in my thoughts and wish you a quieter day ahead!