Only One Explosion

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Reinier, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      My name is Rein a 55 year old male from the Netherlands.
      May the 16th 2015. I will never forget this day.

Someone tried to start a motorcycle. He kept feeding the engine with petrol by choking and turning the throttle all the time. Than this enormous bang from all the petrol that must have been collecting in the exhaust pipe. I never heard an explosion this loud. People, also in the area, agreed that this bang was very, very loud.

Instinctively I knew this was bad news for my ears. Although I was at least 6 metres from the bike, this was just too loud for not damaging my ears.
      Predominately sound in my right ear remained without mid and high frequencies.

All my life I was very aware of causes of hearing damage. One reason is that I loved building and listening to high quality audio systems. I always used hearing protection in loud environments.
      Very unfortunate that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can not see how I could have prevented this incident.

I was very distressed because I knew that my hearing was damaged and realised that this damage would be permanent.
      What I didn't know is that there can be so much more discomfort to noise induced hearing loss. In my case I gained distressing tinnitus, distorted hearing and uncomfortably sensitive hearing.

The dull sound in my right ear remained. Then after one month the tinnitus started. My tinnitus experience is 8 Khz in both right and left ear.
      Then there is the hyperacusis without the pain. Also when someone talks to me it can sound distorted and uncomfortable at already low levels. This distortion in my hearing and the fact that I lost quite a big part of my hearing, made me decide to disconnect my Hi-Fi. This was quite emotional.
      The hearing loss is predominantly in my right ear, but also left is effected to a lesser extend.
      All this got me depressed.

I am trying to improve the sensitivity discomfort of my hearing with white noise. I read on the internet that this is a slow process.
      Nothing seems to alleviate the tinnitus sensation. I made graphics to see if there is something I eat, drink or do that aggravates the tinnitus. The graphics don't indicate this.

I am a technician. My education is a technical one. This event has influenced my life to such an extend that, in order to understand the many, many medical documents on the internet I already read, I bought this book "molecular&cell biology for dummies".
      I tell this only to indicate how determined I am to understand what is happening in my ears and brain. (with the knowledge that is available at this point in time).

I still struggle to accept the fact my hearing is damaged and that this is permanent.
      But by saying this, I do hope that in my lifetime a serendipitous brake through (similar to the findings that birds and fish have a hair cell regeneration mechanism) will trigger an avalanche of understanding amongst scientists how this mechanism works. To such an extend that this knowledge is transferable to repair damaged hearing is humans.

I do hope that reading and writing on this forum is able to help in any way.

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome and sorry about your hearing loss from the explosion. I have hearing loss too in the high frequency and so my T is very high pitch dog whistle. Year damage from and an explosion or noise trauma from loud speakers are getting a lot of people into T. I have read that William Shatner and Nimroy (Spark) both got T from an explosion accidentally on a Star Trek set. Here is Shatner talking about it with David Letterman (who had 2-tone T himself) in 1996. Apparently they have come out ok and life goes on with them. The success stories on TT are very nice to read, as they can get you some hope for the future and will help reduce stress and anxiety. People do get better over time. Hope this video will help you realize that.
      David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Billie for your supportive reply,

How did your tinnitus start?

This 8 kHz tinnitus I hear is considered a high frequency. Not a pleasant tone.
      I knew that Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy got there tinnitus from the episode Arena. Just one explosion can do enough damage. I know now from experience. But we know that so many causes are able to give you tinnitus.

In a couple of weeks I will see an audiologist to see if I am eligible for an acoustic CR neuromodulator therapy.
      In the meantime, like so many other people, I will be looking out for breakthroughs in medical science.
      Thus the research news thread on this forum I will be checking on a regular base.

4. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      As a fellow ex audiophile I know the feeling you are experiencing. In my case it was a balloon who exploded too close to my ear . I had mild T since 1998, but that episode in 2012 really took things to another level . I almost have to gave up listening to music. I have an expensive hi-fi set and thousands of cds, dvds and Blu-ray. It was really a huge blow I took, nowadays I just can listen to music on good days, who are rare. In other days I listen on computer, with computer speakers( not too loud) normally at work . Sometimes things just happen out of your control. We have to accept and go, because there's nothing we can do.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do agree. At the moment there is nothing that can be done. Like I already wrote, I disconnected my HIFI. But I keep hoping that in ten years time (give or take a few years) something can be done about hearing damage. And what I understand at the moment, the majority of tinnitus seems to be caused by noise induced hearing damage.
      In the mean time I will see if I can find new interests. Cell biology perhaps :). The book I bought "molecular&cell biology for dummies" is very interesting! And I do not have to reproduce what is in the book like a medical student has to at exams. Makes it a lot more relaxed reading.

6. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Wow! This Letterman video is really validating. Thanks for sharing. -- My T is like a high pitch dog whistle too. -- I guess if Shatner and Letterman and go on with happy, successful lives, so can I. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Wow was what I felt too when I first watch this video. It kind of shocked me to know that these popular guys have T too and I felt not so bad for my own situation. Ya, from their example, I felt the hope that perhaps given time I would be like them too, moving on and have happy & productive life. Patience with time and sticking to some good strategies are something very important to final habituation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

what is your hearing loss? mild to moderate? or can you provide your audiogram values?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I assume you are asking me?
      I lost 65-70 dB in my right ear. Most loss 4-8 kHz and upwards. So this is considered moderate to severe. Left is very mild loss. But tinnitus, hyperacusis and distortion is also in left ear to a much lesser extend than my right ear. Although the tinnitus severity is same in left and right ears on many occasions.

10. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Do you wear hearing aids?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. At the moment I am doing the Neurostimulator therapy. This does not allow me to wear hearing aids at the same time. I would only need a hearing aid for my right ear.
      Also I am still very intolerant to sound (hyperacusis without pain). Also distortion on already moderate sound levels.
      So amplifying sounds at the moment will be very uncomfortable. Not only that, it will not improve understanding people because of this distortion.
      I know that hearing aids also are able to limit and compress sound at desired frequencies. Therefore I will later on (lets say a year?) try a hearing aid.
      But it is 8 months after the incident and the hyperacusis is not abating yet. This makes me wonder if it ever will. 8 Months healing is a long time already.

12. DinaS

DinaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am so sorry to hear your story.

Random question to anyone with pulsatile T - have you been to a Neurotologist? They are highly specialized in anything involving the ear and the neurological aspects. Some forms of T are curable with surgery. Mine unfortunately is not.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your empathy.
      I have not been to a neurologist. My ENT didn't think this was needed. I believe he is correct.
      It was simple: noise>>> damage to hearing>>>goodbye.
      Do you have tinnitus and hyperacusis?: "no problem. It will not make you lose more hearing.
      This is what doctors can do. Roughly find out what is damaged and send you home.
      Must also be frustrating for ENT,s telling people time after time nothing can be done.
      Pulsating tinnitus could be different if it is not damage to the inner ear.

14. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      Hi Reinier, I just read your story, I am also from the Nederlands ( but I was born in france originally) so my english is not as good as yours! Congrat for that. I have a question: when your accident happened did you see/or go to the emergency immediatly?
      I said that because you didn't mention that the day when it happens. Concerning the ENT in the Netherlands and I said that with experience, they are very often a mess! What a shame that he didn't give you back then "the emergency treatment" (cortisone and vasodilatator), it could have save you some of your damaged hair cell, and thus restore your hearing at the same time. I read that very recently online in a french documentation from Rouen, that some french soldiers recoverd their hearing loss untill 20 to 30db with a treatment of prednisolone. As far as I'm concerned, I had a car accident last december with airbag deployment and the day of my accident nobody told me to run to the emergency for my ears! So as you see I am still very angry/upset about that. The best ENT I saw was in Antwerpen at the UZA, and also at the ZNA. In Belgium, they have also inSentis, I read very good reviews about this institutions, (they offer TRT and good counseling, neuromodulation therapy). For the moment I follow my therapy in Den Bosch at the Kentalis with TRT but also EMDR, fortunatly my therapist is a very good one.
      As Billie said we cannot unfortunatly turn back time (If only we could like in the Superman movies, it would be so great....) but we cannot and we have to deal with it, I know it's so so unfair.... :(

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Genevieve . Unfortunately the only thing I was told, was to wait and see what the outcome would be. I was told it could or could not be beneficial to take extra magnesium. As it turned out I think it didn't make a difference.
      Like with al occupations in our society there are excellent doctors and there are doctors that should change occupation or should be forced to change occupation.
      I am not referring to my own GP. Just in general. Apparently the quit lengthy, higher education to become a doctor is no assurance for empathy and good diagnosis skills. And when you think about it, why should it? I do think the bar should be set higher for these people for the simple reason that you are dealing with people and there well-being. Not just a process or some hardware.

I too have disappointing experiences with audiologists en ENTs. (also: not talking about my own ENT!)
      Because of my past passion (yes, it was a passion. nothing less.) I know a lot about audio.
      I can not at the moment post to much information regarding my situation. Suffice to say I am disappointed by the level of expertise with some people in this field. Disappointed is too weak. I am angry! When I under perform and do not stay up to date in my occupation I will lose my job. I only deal with software and electronics. Not with human beings!

This I have heard before. People getting NIHL because of airbag deployment. Very sad situation. I will not drive my modern car any more without earplugs! This I already decided after my explosion incident. My hearing bothers me so much that if an additional deployment of an airbag (on top of my already damaged hearing) I know everyday life will get......well even cumbersome.

On a more positive note: I love France! Unfortunately I do not speak the language. Also it is unlikely I will visit France any time soon. With my hyperacusis I only stay at home. I have become a reclusive.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. Genevieve

Genevieve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      Hi @Reinier, concerning the airbag, you can ask to deactivate the airbag on the driver side. I thought first it was not possible but in fact it is. My husband called our Renault garage last week and they agreed to do it. But legally, we have to sign a contract in order to discharge the garage in case of accident (so no airbag deployment).
      I know what it feels to become a reclusive, since the onset of my T like you, I'm afraid to go outside, but I have to, that's why it's a real relief for me to know that next week the evil airbags will be for good removed from our car. It was each time so scary for me to drive our car knowing that the 2 airbags can deploy and even at a very low speed (15km/per hour). I don't know if you know it already but that'exactly what happened to the belgian prime minister Elio Di Rupo 10 years ago, his airbag deployed and without a single collision :eek: (again a defective airbag) :arghh: As LeQuack said in the support thread, airbags are really a diabolical invention, they can save lives it's true but the price we pay is very very high :mad: If nobody complains, automobile manufacturers will do nothing to change that. How long must we still wait to have silent airbags? :(

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would think it is all about economics for car manufacturers? It should be technically possible to dampen the explosion a would Imagen.
      The number of people disadvantaged by it is too small. People saved by it is probably much, much higher. Perhaps if people start suing car manufacturers for hearing damage?

18. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Hi Reinier, did you try LLLT for your T/H ?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Mithrandir . Not yet. I am saying not yet, because I diligently follow the LLLT thread.
      At the moment I am doing the neuromodulator therapy. This being an expensive therapy means it will be a while to try something new.
      But yes, I am interested.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Both rats studies using LLLT at 810nm and demonstrating a regeneration effect on damaged nerves - as well as acoustic trauma damaged hair cells, also clearly stated that the regeneration effect drops sharply after some time has passed.

For rats it was about a week.

LLLT won't work well on the chronic cases, at least if we base ourselves on the animal studies.

Granted, human are different and the therapeutic window may be much longer but nevertheless LLLT isn't something you consider at some point in the future - ideally you do it in the acute phase to really benefit from it - or chances are it won't work at all .. which is why we haven't see that many clear cut success stories on it.

The device only costs 2100 USD that's not much in a lifetime of spending money - if this can change your condition from a major disability to an annoyance level for the H, sound quality and reactive T for the years to come...until we have something better available

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      I hope laser helps me with H/ear pain/fulness of the ears but after 1month and half the lux spa home laser of wilden is "very quiet". I don't know which laser is the best... of if I have to try stem cell but that's the same question than LLLT, which the best treatment ? will I have some improvement... ?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is almost a year for me.
      That doesn't bode well.

23. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      we don't know how much 1 week of rat translates into human time - I would not loose precious time waiting it out to find out..all the stuff that is supposed to help like steroids, am-101 etc.. have a fairly short window of action
      But again, there may be exceptions

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been tempted, but did not yet see enough examples of people getting improvement.
      The clinical trials are, as far as I know, in vitro. If I am not mistaken attheedgeofsciense also did stem cell therapy. So what is working? I need to do some more reading.
      I tried to contact Dr Wilden. I sent a request form and did not get a reply The emails I sent bounced.
      So I reckon he is busy enough.

25. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is a link to a study on H done at the Otoclinic in Spain so there has been a few human studies which proves it helps to an extent especially for the reactive part of the issue

ATEOS got some Db scale improvement on LLLT before doing stem cells

26. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:

The otoclinica franchise run in Spain by Joaquin Prosper has a study on its mainstreet office of a total sample of 1 patient who, when exposed to 5mw of laser over some time, found immense benefits. Yes, the same ''insufficient 5mw'' Wilden claims to be the reason why so many trails failed on pubmed. Funny, that.