Open Eustachian Tubes at Will?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Griffin, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi all,

I thought everyone could do it but i've just found out that many cannot open their Eustachian tubes at will. I can do it whenever i like without having to yawn, swallow or anything. I have an awful but distant buzzing in my right ear (along with all the other tones :banghead:) which sometimes feels blocked. Nodding my head increases this buzzing. I fear my ability to open the Eustachian tubes has caused a problem as I do it A LOT!

Any thoughts anyone? Can you do this also?

Cheers

Mark

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I sure can, and my ears crackle whenever I swallow.

3. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi all. Reviving this thread because I am curious if anyone has this habit of sucking in ur eus tubes in an attempt to clear that feeling of fullness? I am not sure how to describe it but i will always feel some movement within e ears when doing it. When i do it excessively, the ringing goes up a tad n I panic. :( I realize I do it subconsciously n it might not be helpful for my T...

4. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      I know its an old comment but me too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      Yes.

6. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I do it too! I've always done it, even as a child. I don't do it super often but whenever I can't get my ears unblocked I do it. I can also open my tubes at will by yawning and theres another way I do it although I don't know how to describe it!

7. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Hi!
      Could you please be clearer re what do you mean by "sucking in the E tubes"?
      You said that you are not sure how to describe it, but do try, please.

On a separate note: I have horrible ear fullness and this may be the cause of my T, unless I got in the meantime also "brain T"
      Sometimes, in an attempt to relief this pressure, I do the opposite of Valsalva maneuver: I pinch my nose and swallow instead of blowing. That's what you mean by "sucking in the eus tubes"?

I noticed that often, but not always, my T goes up when I swallow (just regular swallowing, not while pinching my nostrils). But the T that goes up when swallowing is a high pitch tone, not the crackling sound that is talked about here. So confusing!

Could it be that my middle ears are so full that this accumulated mucus is pressing against the inner ear, just like the stapes, and that's how the inner ear produces a tonal sound?

8. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.

I guess it's breathing in deeply and quickly through your nose which seems to 'suck in' the tubes and then you can pop them by holding your nose closed and blowing out . If that makes sense?