Otoprotective Agents (D-Methionine) Video

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by vttbx, Jan 26, 2019.

1. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I had high hopes for D-Methionine when the research showed it could protect from hearing loss after noise exposure. But it stalled in Phase III of the clinical trial due to lack of funding.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02903355

Here is a video I found just recently on an overview of otoprotective agents including D-Methionine. It's from 2011 but still worth a listen. The audio is out of sync.

SIU Tech Expo 2011: D-methionine (D-met) as a...

• Like Like x 1
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Damn that's a shame, so they completed the phase III trial in 2017 but now nothing is happening because they have no funding???

• Like Like x 1
    3. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I cannot believe that funding is the reason cited for stalling Phase III trials. There must be some other issue at play. There was big money being thrown at this.

It is a shame it's stalled, but what is really heartening I guess (even though it's a few years on now) is that hearing issues have been prioritised in US Department of Defence research spending. Particularly with the establishment of their centre for excellence in hearing research.

The US military has much at stake in protecting soldiers hearing and it's the DoD that will drive real qualitative research for tangible treatments into the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      If you go to 26:13 of the video, Dr. Campbell says L-Methionine is also effective but D-Met is safer and stays in your system longer. I still rotate between NAC, ALCAR, and L-Methionine on a daily basis. She says NAC has mostly failed as an otoprotective agent. I'm about to try two new supplements: PharmaNAC and Liposomal Glutathione. I found out that NAC is most absorbable as an effervescent. And if the end result is to increase Glutathione, a liquid in the form of Liposomal Glutathione seems to be the most direct method.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1