Ototoxic Tinnitus — Antibio Synalar — Any Similar Experiences?

Discussion in 'Support' started by elsa, Feb 25, 2017.

1. elsa

elsa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic medication
      hello I'm a french woman, I had my unilateral tinnitus 4 years ago .

I would like to know if people have had the same bad experience as me with a treatment for ear infection called "antibio synalar", thank you.

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Hello, welcome to the forum!

It looks like "Antibio-Synalar" contains neomycin which is an aminoglycoside antibiotic, and they are often ototoxic. Unfortunately tinnitus is a common side effect from aminoglycosides. You are definitely not alone, other members in this forum have had similar complaints after using ear drops containing neomycin.

3. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Neomycin is known to be ototoxic in some people. See if you can switch to something less potent, and try to avoid aminoglycoside antibiotics going forward.

4. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I was given drops with neomycin once, I never took it.. I though hell no, not taking this stuff!

not saying you should not take it but, but anything with neomycin should be considered carefully , especially if you suffer from T.

If you are worried about your ask your doctor for a subscription for something else , by the way a great list of otototoxic drugs, half way down on this PDF :

http://www.keesdevries.eu/Documenten/Ototoxic_Drug_Packet_Oct12.pdf