Participants Needed: Studies Are Conducted on the Campus of the University of Illinois

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Kyxwz, May 25, 2016.

1. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      I found this after writing with the researcher Fatima Husainf.

Maybe someone from America can give his contribution to research. I think that everything is important know! And these laboratories are seeking volunteers with tinnitus.

http://www.acnlab.com/participants.html

They are looking for participants that fulfill the following criteria (there are more requirements; read the above link for the exact details!):
      • have hearing loss and tinnitus
      • have hearing loss without tinnitus
      • have normal hearing without tinnitus
      Individuals will be paid for their participation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I live in the USA, but I'm like, 16 hours from the University of Illinois. I'd love to participate in what they're doing, it sounds really interesting, but it's just too damn far... maybe if they'd cover a plane trip I'd be able to help them out, haha

Shot them an email anyways.

I'm interested in this because they are clearly trying to figure out why some people can go stone deaf and not get T whereas others retain 90% of their hearing and get T. This very question eats me up every day... my biggest "loss" on an audiogram is 15dB and I can hear up to 19kHz...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      I'd be volunteer if I had opportunies to go to America. This sounds exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      Unfortunately they are so far away from... Italy!

5. Michael Howard

Michael Howard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had tinnitus for about 10 years. I have a constant high frequency 24/7 since the beginning. I have had numerous hearing test but the doctors always say that my hearing is fine. I would do anything to get rid of this problem and would be willing to participate

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Great to hear!

Please check the study website for more information (from which you can also make contact with the researchers):

http://www.acnlab.com/participants.html

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sian

Sian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's a shame that this study is restricted to people without any chronic health problems as tinnitus seems to be a common problem for many of these people (including people with fibromyalgia, chronic migraine etc).

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Excluding people with brain and vision problems? Is this study discounting that tinnitus is causing the brain and vision problems? Or is DOD wondering why tinnitus doesn't cause vision and brain problems in everyone effected?

9. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Isn't it to be concidered very good news that this is sponsored by the United States Department of Defense? That should imply that the funds are basically unlimited? :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      It's very understandable that they cannot involve people with chronic health problems, as this would make the work much harder with determining the outcome and especially side effects of any treatment attempts.

Let's say you have a person with chronic headaches applying. How would they know if the side affect of a certain treatment might be headaches, if the person is already suffering from it? It's a rather simple example, but still. The research and medical work gets much easier and straight forward if they have a "narrow" health group of subjects to study.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Hi Phillip83--point well taken. Being told no cure by doctors--then becoming hopeful in finding the study was followed by disappointment to learn that I couldn't participate. But, you are absolutely right and glad you enlightened me on that important perspective.

12. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Markku, do you know if this study has been started yet? Are they still looking for participants?

13. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Kyxwz,

I had an over-the-phone placement interview with a member of this study yesterday. Although I met the criteria to be apart of the research, there was one unfortunate circumstance that didn't allow me to be able to take place in it. Apart from the actual brain imaging research/hearing assessments, an 8 week class for "Mindfulness practice with Tinnitus" is mandatory for participants in this study. As much as I so eagerly wanted to help push research farther with this type of brain malfunction, I don't live in Chicago and I was only looking to stay there for a few days while the assessments were to take place. They ended up emailing me later in the day stating that they were sorry I'm not qualified for the study because I can't be apart of the classes, but to keep in touch with them when new research projects come forth regarding the study of "Tinnitus".

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm willing to participate,anyway of getting in contact?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    15. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The link for their website is at the top of the post. Once you get to the site, scroll all the way down and you'll find an email address and phone number to contact them.

Do you live close to the University of Ilinois Bill?

16. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus: