Phonophobia in My Normal Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Koz, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Koz
      Dreaming

Koz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unilateral sensorineural hearing loss
      Hi guys,

I am growing very frustrated with what I consider a relapse after I shut the chapter on my tinnitus and hearing loss for a good 4 years before an unfortunate relapse in September of last year (2018).

I'll try and summarize -

In 2009 I damaged my left ear listening to very loud music via headphones at levels at the time I thought I could handle, totally without any fear. I hurt something in my left ear, I physically felt that. My right ear was fine, I did not get the right diagnosis until 2-3 years later that I had hearing loss in my left ear after it became noticeable (as well as the tinnitus) because my right ear has basically been doing all the recompensating for a while. Normal MRI etc.

I was told by the ENT "You damaged something that protects your hearing in your left ear" - which turned out to be my acoustic reflex according to an audiologist down the line. My right ear was and still is in normal hearing range.

Anyway, I got over the issue by wearing ear 23 dB earplugs at events (I am a musician) and changed my perception of tinnitus via some TRT info and practice, and voila - this was not an issue anymore, I even remember phonophobia at the time disappearing with that. I had habituated and practically never thought of the issue again whatsoever (but always wore earplugs at loud events and didn't listen to overly loud music with headphones) until 4 years later in 2018 - went to an event, a really loud event and forgot my earplugs (!!)

Two days later I could tell I damaged my left ear further because I could hear different sort of perceptions in my left ear when I was talking loud or shouting - this was confirmed via audiogram later the next month. The doctor said it was mixed as opposed to just sensorineural, anyway, few months later audiogram does not show any conductive element, just straightforward sensorineural hearing loss. The conductive element could have possibly been bone reminants, but it doesn't matter, latest audiogram shows sensorineural hearing loss only, no conductive element in left ear.

My issue is - I noticed there were some frequencies in my right ear that showed being lower (in 2018) than my audiogram in 2013 but they were all still at normal hearing range. I was reassured by the audiologist that this can be down to the person doing the test and minimal differences aren't worth stressing about, he did another audiogram on my right ear in 2019 and it showed a slight improvement from the 2018 that basically demonstrated his point.

Still, I am overly fearful about damaging my right ear even though I should have enough reassurance (based on facts and medical history of my right ear) and I don't ever intend to go to loud events forgetting my ear plugs ever again. Tinnitus is not a problem for me, I do not care about it. For those of you who got over phonophobia, how did you get over this fear? There are no TRT clinics near me or anyone qualified to practice it, I mean I can't really say I needed it first time around, I think just a change of perception about tinnitus seemed to more or less do the trick for me.

I haven't attached any of my left ear audiograms as its not the one I have fear of damaging further anymore because its not the one I rely on anymore at all. Its in the moderate severage range of loss anyway.

Common sense for me says its silly to be overly fearful as my right ear is in normal range after all these years and everything I've put it through, as well as me not intending to ever to forget my earplugs ever again or listen to anything super loud on headphones. But, still, I feel this relapse has set traumatised me. I might consider CBT if there is no more reassurance to be given...

2019:

upload_2019-7-14_18-51-20.png

2018:

upload_2019-7-14_18-57-12.png

2013:

upload_2019-7-14_18-52-3.png

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How do you know it's phonophobia, do noises sound abnormally loud or cause pain?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Koz
      Dreaming

Koz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PHONOPHOBIA
      fear of environmental sounds. Fear that they may damage hearing or make other symptoms worse…

This is me. Pain very rare almost nonexistent, just a fear of losing hearing in my good (right) ear and my level of tolerance has dropped as a result to an extent.

What you're defining sounds like Hyperacusis. I've posted in this category because wasn't sure where else to post.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      are you sure you don't have hyperacusis?

Anyway seek help for the phonophobia you experience.

I have a deep fear of losing hearing too but no phonophobia

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Koz
      Dreaming

Koz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nothing sounds abnormally loud and I don't have pain, I just have a fear of losing hearing in my good ear.

For anyone who's had help for situations similar to me, I am wondering what worked for them?

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Koz
      Dreaming

Koz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've heard of them and obviously am excited, but i've overcome a fear of sound back in 2013, somehow.. I know I can overcome it again.

I know there's things like pink noise? But I was curious as to what else has worked for people

CBT? Medication? etc

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You have very good hearing in your right ear, so I am guessing that you basically perceive the sounds like if they were directed to your right ear.

If you dont notice fullness, pressure, tension or pain when you listen to sound at moderate volumes, you are fine, just live your life, forget about your hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1