Piracetam Worked for Me

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Robert Dinse, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Robert Dinse

Robert Dinse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Bcame noticable around 2000
      What worked for me is Piracetam. I originally started taking it for it's alleged cognitive benefits. I did not experience stellar improvements in cognitive function but what I noticed after I had been taking it for about three months is tinnitus faded away and lost high frequency hearing (8 Khz - 17 Khz) returned. After several years I stopped tinnitus returned, started again, tinnitus went away again but it took longer the second time.

It's cheapest to buy in a powder but a pain in the butt so I buy in 800mg capsules. It takes about 4800mg / day in three even doses of 1600mg each initially then about 1600mg/day total to maintain. I also take 300mg citicholine with piracetam to prevent racetam headaches.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Where did you heard that piracetam could help your T?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. anniev

anniev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Can you tell me more about the two drugs you mentioned? Also, how does the first one work on cognitive dysfunction? Just looking for help.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've also seen many reports over the years of piracetam causing tinnitus, so be careful...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Codaz

Codaz Member

I have spoken to a Belgian ENT and he asked immediately if I got piracetam. It isn't very much known. And not a lot of ENT's prescribe it.

6. Thereisnogod
      Suicidal

Thereisnogod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011 & 02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Let me guess, the OP will probably never be heard of again, what a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I had one here asking me the same as well, not sure if I should take it though, since my T is already much lower on its own.

8. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where have seen these reports?

9. summ
      Tired

summ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad cold/flu
      For me it helps to lower T a bit. Nothing substantial, but at least it works consistently.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Codaz

Codaz Member

I'm going to ask it again when I see him in february. There was no time today to address this.

• Useful Useful x 1
    11. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It pains me to see how hard it is to see an ENT elsewhere, here I can make one within a week if I want. Costing me almost nothing.

12. Codaz

Codaz Member

Well I'm seeying two in Belgium. Both in academic hospitals. And yes, they are contradictory in cause and outcome so one says A and the other says B. It's quite hard since they both do audiograms in a different way, both measure the ear pressure (tympanometry) in a different way. It seems there is no standardized protocol. Some hospitals measure hearing while the other ear gets a hiss and press a button, while others let you raise your hand to indicate in which ear you hear it when sounds are played.

The one I have in the Netherlands is quite bad at understanding what tinnitus means. She misjudged the situation getting worse after taking Medrol (big side effects) lost my phone number, and so on and so on. She even wrote an article in the ENT magazine that tinnitus patients just have to put a cd with bird sounds on and everything is solved. Totally idiotic since most of us really suffer. I told her about my TMJ therapy which I'm doing for years (and my T in my right ear lowered by 70%) and she just stared at me. While there have been over 3000 papers mentioning the tinnitus and TMJ relation. It seems that out of doc school they simply stop educating themselves. I'm so pissed off by that. And if you bring papers to the ENT office they will not listen as they say "oh have you been googling again, well I'm the doctor and you are not".

• Like Like x 1
    13. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      In many Eastern EU states piracetam is standard fare for tinnitus. I don't say this as an endorsement of piracetam (our medical establishment is generally lagging compared to Western states), simply stating it as a fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Codaz

Codaz Member

After I heard my ENT saying "not scientifically proven" for Betaserc I said: but it could work. And she looked me int the eyes and knew I was serious. Few moments later the pharmacy prescription came out of the printer. It's so stinking bad that they keep falling back on "not scientifically proven" and just not try shit. Either with medrol, piracetam, HBOT, or else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1
    16. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      This is the first time I've heard of caroverine and I've done a LOT of research on tinnitus meds. And it seems to be an effective drug, according to the study quoted above. What gives? How is this not common knowledge?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      PIRACETAM

Just ran across the following testimonial:

""I've experienced mild Tinnitus for the past couple of years to due to shooting an excessive amount of guns and lighting far too many fire crackers close to me (or lobbing them as if grenades) and one thing that I found to help with it was using Piracetam. Piracetam is more commonly used to help with memory or cognitive issues, but a lot of people use it to help treat tinnitus, I use it for both (two birds; one stone).

Not sure if this helps all that much, but I know that Piracetam definitely has been a game changer for me dealing with tinnitus.""​

• Like Like x 1
    18. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to mention, piracetam is very similar in structure to the amino acid l-pyroglutamic acid. I've tried both, and get a similar reaction from each.

19. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      How long have you been taking piracetam and when did you notice a change? Was it maybe a month after using it?

20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Apolonia

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm actually not taking piracetam. I tried it several years ago, but even tiny amounts ended up making me feel nervous and agitated. What I posted above was a testimonial I had run across online. I've been meaning to give the l-pyroglutamic acid another try since getting tinnitus, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Will report back here if I have any success with that. Again, sorry for the confusion.​

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Wish me luck komrades.

• Like Like x 3
    22. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Remember to take enough of piracetam, otherwise it's useless.

Are you combining it with other nootropics, which?

23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just this for today.

• Like Like x 1
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, it made me mentally alert, seemed like my memory was improved. It didn't seem to affect the level of my tinnitus but it certainly helped me not focus on it, like what they describe habituation being like. I like it.

Edit: it gave me some digestive intrigue. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It should work after a prolonged period of time. (Nootropil at least. ) The dose which is prescribed here is 1-1-0 of 1200mg pills, so no pill in the evening. First, normally people have the IV, or don't depending on the hospital policy, and later they are advised to take the piracetam for months. One box contains 100 pcs. I took like 80 pills before stopping it completely, because it did nothing for me tinnitus-wise. Made me alert, and I should give it to that despite not sleeping basically at all, I was not as tired as I'm now and did not have this much brain fog. Did not make my mood any better though. Here, sometimes university students use it for enhancing memory in exam period.

Some people say that they go to have Nootropil infusion in every 6 months or so. Some say that it lowered their tinnitus once or twice, but later came back, and then it didn't help. Some say it saved their lives So go figure. :(

I'm not a big fan of piracetam, I tend to blame it for giving me my high pitched sound, but I have like 3 other culprits, so it doesn't mean much. I hope it works for you.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I like this drug.

27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      started taking it with 7,8 DHF today. No curcumin. Just experimenting.

28. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Racetams’ MOA’s aren’t fully known, and I’m pretty sure tolerance can develop. That being said, I’ve been taking ~3-4g/day pre-workout with NAC to mitigate acoustic damage from the gym environment (wearing an earplug in my left as well) for 2+ months now and it’s gone down a little bit. No side effects, headaches or otherwise.

Again, my problem is with the pitch of the tinnitus and not really the volume. If the volume were dropped a couple notches it’d probably be gone entirely—it’s the shrillness that’s so upsetting. Can’t offer my endorsement to piracetam because my improvements have been so slow, but it’s possible it has helped to manage my post-workout spikes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Alex0o_o0
      Confused

Alex0o_o0 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/10/2018 - 04/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash/concussion - Sound trauma
      Do you have any idea why Piracetam can cause tinnitus? I also got Piracetam (+ Medrol + Pantomed) prescribed for my noise induced tinnitus. However one of these medicines (or stress) has led to the worsening of my previously existing tinnitus. My old tinnitus was due to a car crash, so probably not noise induced. I expect Piracetam as a possible the culprit because it may have an effect on NMDA glutamate receptors.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. jimsocal

jimsocal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just FYI my ENT just prescribed Devincal for me which is a combination of 400mg piracetam and 20mg vincamine (similar to vinpocetine). I have no idea if it will work yet as I just started it for my tinnitus.
      FYI I used to use 2400mg as a starting dose and then 800mg a day piracetam for cognitive enhancement and I liked the way it made me feel, and it did seem to help my brain to remember what I'd studied and feel more alert etc.

• Like Like x 1