PLEASE HELP: Noise-Induced Tinnitus — Can You Manipulate It by Somatic Movements?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cyberdrink, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Cyberdrink

Cyberdrink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      sorry for asking a question without ever actually posting my full story in the "introduce yourself" section... i plan on doing that soon...

I WOULD REALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSES!

here's my question:

are there people out there who got their tinnitus from noise exposure, but their tinnitus also seems to have a "somatic" component - they can manipulate their noise-induced tinnitus with physical movements of the jaw and/or neck?

please note i'm specifically looking for those who are sure they got T from loud noise exposure, but they can also manipulate their T with physical movements...

i'm asking because i'm having a very hard time accepting my tinnitus ever since i realized it's somatic... it's been almost 8 months of this constant ringing/hissing (both ears and head). i was doing much better coping before i realized my tinnitus had so many somatic components (jaw and neck movements increase my sounds greatly).

now, instead of thinking my T is noise induced (not much you can do about that), i'm constantly looking up and trying different methods that have had some success for other people with somatic T (neck/jaw exercises, acupuncture, trigger point therapy, chiropractic adjustments, TMJ splints, etc).

i guess what i'm saying is this... if i know there are other people with noise-induced T that can also manipulate their sound with physical "somatic" movements, i think i may be able to go back to believing there's not much i can do about it, and have some more piece (i did have some loud noise exposure not to long prior to my T onset).

by the way... i understand that even if T is somatic in nature, that doesn't mean i'll have any more luck in ridding myself of it. I just know myself and i know i'll be less tempted to try fixing it if i believe it's noise induced.

i hope i'm making enough sense...

i would really like to go back to believing it's noise induced because that's almost always stable over time (link: http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=125 - see the "stability over time" section)

if anyone is wondering where i'm getting information on somatic T, here's the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3129953/

THANKS TO EVERYONE IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cyberdrink

Cyberdrink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No luck @billie48 . Not a single reply! Do you know anyone you could bump that may have an opinion? Anyone with for sure noise induced T that can alter the volume or pitch with somatic input?

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @Cyberdrink ,
      If no one answers, perhaps you can find your answer from searching TT with 'somatic tinnitus'. You are asking if anyone whose T is from reasons other than somatic (movement of muscle, jaws, joints, neck etc) can also change their T in a somatic way. The way you get your answer is from searches of 'somatic tinnitus' on TT. You will get many posters saying they can manipulate their T by moving their body parts. Then you look at their avatars for the CAUSE of their T. So if their cause is noise induced or hearing loss, drugs, etc., and then they say they can manipulate their T by somatic way, you've found the individuals and also the proof there are people with the condition you are looking for. The following is just one of the 'somatic tinnitus' threads to illustrate. Many posters seem to have T not from somatic cause and yet be able to change T by moving their body parts. Does this answer your question?

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-many-of-you-have-somatic-tinnitus.10985/

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something like 80% of people with tinnitus can modulate it with muscle movement, according to what I've read.

The working theory is that when there is a decrease in auditory input to the DCN in the brain, there is an overcompensation in activity in somatic nerves.

5. Anton Wongtrakun

Anton Wongtrakun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hey Cybrdrink

I am exactly the same as you.

I defenitely suffered acoustic trauma and therefore acquired the Tinnitus through a noise induced event. I’m into month 8 and have recently noiticed if Inclench my teeth hard the noise changes.

I therefore believe like you there must be a physical element to the problem not just an issue with the brain.

Even though I can only influence the sound marginally it seems to me that there may be a way to fix the problem.

I am a believer that the noise damage caused some inflammation. Which I why I am trialing all the treatments that have an impact on inflammation.

I am defenitely better after 8 months and the sound has been changing which gives me some hope that it can reduce further.

How are you going any improvement or further ideas?

In friendship

Anton

6. Canadaman

Canadaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bar for two hours + levofloxacin + stress
      I think I could make a tinnitus-like noise using jaw movement before I got tinnitus, though.

So yes, I can, by pushing my jaw a special way, change the tinnitus noise. But, I'm pretty sure I'm just momentarily adding another noise on top of the permanent noise.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, most people with noise induced tinnitus have some degree of somatic involvement; recent research indicates this is to be expected, the brain starts to treat muscle nerve fiber sensory data as sound following a loss of signal from the auditory nerve. Google up a video called "neuroengineering and the neural basis of tinnitus"