Positive Attitude, Tinnitus for 10 Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cernuto, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've had tinnitus for around 10 years now. Being a drummer, I'm fairly confident it's due to noise and stress. Recently, it has once again come back with a vengeance and it's not any easier for me than when it first onset. Although I am once again obsessed with it, I realize it's an unhealthy behavior which I'm trying to control through meditation, medication, and relaxation.

I have 30 dB hearing loss at 4-8 kHz in both ears. My predominant tinnitus tone is around 14 kHz in my left ear. Rarely it may go quiet for a day. Other days it's louder than the shower. I have no idea why. Both ears have multiple tones but they are not nearly as bothersome as the 14 kHz tone.

I have eustachian tube disfunction with some type of random popping. I have bad neck posture (aka 'nerd neck') which I'm working on. Maybe solving these problems will help alleviate the tinnitus.

I have thyroid issues I'm trying to solve. I had a parathyroid issue when tinnitus first onset 10 years ago. Maybe the strange thyroid fluctuations are related to tinnitus... who knows...

I use white noise, rain sounds, etc... to assist with masking the tinnitus for sleeping purposes. It has been the most effective thing by far. Sometimes I may listen to the sink run or use a white noise app on my phone which gives a little bit of relief during the day.

The idea of neuroplasticity I believe is true. I feel if the mind can relax enough to be able to focus on the tinnitus without causing distress eventually the mind will adjust. I don't believe this an overnight process. It takes courage, patience, and perseverance.

I believe it's very important to reach out to friends and family for dealing with this condition. This condition which lately feels like the end of the world I do believe will get better as I grow stronger mentally through the help of friends and family.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum and thank you for the positive post. Yes masking with white noise or any favored sounds will help. It saved me from anxieties.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you worked as a drummer over the past 10 years?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes, I took a break for around 7 years then started performing again after the tinnitus reduced in volume. The tinnitus became quiet and very manageable to the point where I no longer needed white noise to sleep. I thought the tinnitus was going away. So I started playing out again using hearing protection. Now that my tinnitus has became much louder I no longer play other than very quiet practice on muffled surfaces like pillows/pads. My tinnitus is now sometimes louder than ever now. It fluctuates in volume dramatically.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have any idea why it became louder? Did it become louder several days after you taking an ototoxic drug or being exposed to a loud noise, or did it gradually get louder?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Strange as it sounds I noticed a drop in barometric pressure would cause a spike in my left ear. Eventually the spikes became more frequent and had nothing to do with the barometer.

I sought treatment and was given antibiotics for what was presumed to be a middle ear infection. To my surprise the weeks-long spike completely subsided. However, a few months later the same spike returned.

Again I tried an antibiotic but this time it didn't work. I did receive a kenalog shot which worked for about a day.

Although rarely the tinnitus tone almost completely disappears, instances of this are becoming less and less frequent.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Have you had a blood test to check your thyroid levels? If low, maybe you need more iodine. But check with your doctor.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I had a thyroidectomy in 2010. Lately my thyroid levels have been off. High tsh (14.5), normal t3 & t4.

9. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      When did it become quiet? After how much time? And did it initially feel it was getting worse before becoming quiet?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Gradually it became quieter. In 2017 it was no longer bothersome. Early 2019 I could sometimes put my head on a pillow with my bad t ear facing down and barely hear it. Occasional spikes would occur at that time but they were few and far between.

When it first onset 10 years ago the tinnitus just showed up one day and never left. I dont recall it getting worse before it became quiet. It seems like it's much worse since it has returned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      So it took like 7 years to become quiet? (Not bothersome)? What was the level when it started in 2010?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes, it took me around 7 years before it was not bothersome. I don't have a good reference for the volume when it started in 2010. I recall it was always possible to drown out the t by running the sink. Today in 2019 this works most of the time but sometimes it's still audible even over a running shower which is significantly louder than the sink.

• Like Like x 1
    13. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Hi @Cernuto, just been reading some of your posts. Our situations are quite similar. I had tinnitus for a long time and once habituated was very comfortable living with it. But eventually a spike from over zealous headphone use (fellow musician here) pushed the tinnitus to a new level where I realised that what I'd been living with for circa 28 years was pretty mild by comparison.

Like you, I do believe things will get better over time even though this last 4 years has been a long road. Tinnitus is a strange beast, a shower sometimes can't mask yours but can always mask mine (at least for now), however, I think my hearing profile is worse than yours, which would suggest I should experience louder tinnitus.

Similarly, I get good days and not so good. Today is quite loud but Saturday was blissfully quiet. What a difference. I do think you're right that we can grow stronger mentally by reaching out to friends and family (my mum suffers with tinnitus and is always good for a chat). And a positive mental attitude is everything. Glad to hear you're still drumming - even if it is only pillows.

14. Matthew Piecora
      Batty

Matthew Piecora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Musician here. I do audio/production/guitar for a living and I feel like just breaking down. Thanks for your post, it's nice to read something positive while I search the internet endlessly for a cure for this invisible demon.