Positive Experience: I Went to a Concert Last Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg Clarke, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Just wanted to post a quick experience. I hit a show last night. Modest Mouse @ the Helix in Dublin. A 1,600 capacity venue.

Stood at the back where decibel level averaged 89 -92 for the bulk of the show. I had a friend measure closer to the stage, where it was in the region of 98 or so.

I wore a set of 3M foam plugs and felt quite safe, after a song or two I stopped thinking about my tinnitus. No changes this morning and I think I'd be happy to hit shows every few months or so.

Obviously I'm not advising anyone to start hitting concerts, I just wanted to post a positive experience, as the question of attending concerts comes up regularly. I personally think its safe under the conditions described above.

• Like Like x 5
    2. Can't believe I didn't wear ear plugs when I was younger. I have a pair with me on my keychain 24/7 now.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most people still don't wear them. I'd guess less than 10% of the audience that them last night and
      Thats a generous estimate.

4. vivaro

vivaro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music or throat infection
      Hi guys,
      Which ear plugs do you recommend for concerts which can also be small enough to carry around for everyday use as well and which ones should be used on a plane.?
      I have heard good things about earplanes available on amazon.
      Cheers!

5. I use downbeats available on Amazon. They come with a carrying case that fits easily on your keychain. I use the short stem version because it's difficult for anybody to tell if you have your plugs in but still it easy enough to get out. I carry them with me all the time and tend to use them daily in the gym and at loud bars or events. They are also very cheap so you can always buy new ones without too much of a headache and I've had to do that a few times.

I would like to get custom-made ear plugs from an audiologist but they are pretty expensive and I have lost the downbeat versions so I'm scared to lose something more expensive than that.

• Like Like x 1
    6. vivaro

vivaro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music or throat infection
      Thank you @Constable85
      I will check them out..

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks for reporting your positive experience. I too have been to a few concerts (with plugs) and been fine.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      Although I likely got my T from hearing loss from concerts and loud ear buds, I won't let it stop the music. I use etymotic er20 plugs at concerts now and I lower the volume on my iPod to prevent further damage so I can enjoy what I can.

• Like Like x 3
    9. Rocknrory
      Inspired

Rocknrory Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Exposure
      I've had T for almost exactly 1 year now, and after suffering deeply from anxiety and depression due to fear that originated with the tinnitus. I'm so much better now. The habituation process has gone quite well as I notice the sound infrequently. I also have great faith that I will not have this sound for as long as I previously thought when I first got it.

I acquired some custom molded earplugs with -15 and -25 filters which you can switch easily. I go to shows and music festivals quite often still, because music is movement, and movement is life for me. If I stopped going to shows or heavily cut down on attending them with friends, I would become so depressed. I'm a musician after all, just a bit more cautious now :)

Don't let tinnitus stop you from going to shows and enjoying music. Just use earplugs and be mindful of your health. A positive aspect of developing tinnitus at my age is that now I'm so aware of my health. I just view tinnitus as a pesky "friend" who is sticking around until the time is right. Thankfully the brain is quite powerful, habituation is nice.

Remember, this sound isn't here for the rest of your life! Have faith, smile, and keep growing. When it does finally fade away, you'll be so proud with how far you've come.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Actually tinnitus for most afflicted is a life long condition.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @erik No problem! I think it's important to report a positive experience no matter how trivial it seems. Last year after the onset of my new level of Tinnitus I was in a bad place. I remember reading in a thread that you said you still regularly went to loud bars, that encouraged me to try go to my companies Chritmas party, I went and had a great time and with no effects on my Tinnitus.

12. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Greg Clarke Thank you for sharing your experience!! I bet it was a relief to feel NORMAL again, wasn't it? I had the same experience last year, I went to an outdoor concert (Maroon 5), about one month after a terrible T increase due to medication... I was so worried but wore ear plugs and had a great time. Absolutely NO spike. I remember feeling so light hearted and happy after!!

thank you again!!

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ampumpkin That's it! Really felt like a light at the end of the tunnel!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      I saw Prince several weeks ago in a 3500 person theatre. Awesome show. The first half of the show sounded like Jimi Hendrix. I wasn't going to let my T stop me. But I am more mindful about protecting my hearing and my health.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another positive Concert experience last night. My third this year. Those into metal may be interested.

Fear Factory @ The Academy Dublin. Venue capacity is around 950 and the show was sold out. I really thought this type of show would be super loud but it averaged 92db. Again, wearing earplugs have had no negative effects.

• Like Like x 2
    16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My hubby and both sons are going to a Heavy rock concert tomorrow and told them take ear protection but NO!!! Silly men...lots of love glynis

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah funnily enough my brother refused a set of plugs on the way in then complained his ears were ringing afterwards!!!

18. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, isn't it weird how they still refuse plugs while having a living warning sign close by?

And yeah, men... I'll never understand them. Personally, I resigned my membership from that club a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another positive concert experience last night. Went to se Dinosaur Jr. in Dublin. Anyone that knows the band will be aware that you can't really get much louder than these guys...maybe MogwaI??. Stood halfway down the venue, with ear plugs obviously!! Absolutely fine afterwards.

Nice to see there were good quality foam ear plugs available at the band's merch table too.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      @Greg Clarke , I can't believe you went to see Dinosaur Jr, man. You are brave. If there's a band known for damaging people's hearing it's Dinosaur Jr. Probably tied with My Bloody Valentine to be fair. Not surprising if you read interviews with either of those bands, they all say they have severe tinnitus as well and joke "doesn't everybody?"

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jacob83 Ha ha, don't know if I'd consider it brave. I just can't live without music. All I can do is take the usual precautions and see how it goes.

By the way their new record is great, been listening to it all month!

22. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      The only band i will come out of my concert retirement is nightwish and within temptation. Will wear my alpines. Nice to see people still going to gigs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Konstadinos

Konstadinos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (diagnosed with ETD, TMJD and Straigtened Neck)
      How loud is music at concerts?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You'll get a lot of exaggeration here. The shows I've been to recently are not as loud as you think. Obviously for any of us here I'm not advising or talking about right down the front or in front of speakers etc.

I generally stand halfway down the venue so here's some examples

Modest mouse 89-92

Fear factory 89-92

Acid Reign 90-95

Slayer 90-94

Dinosaur jr 94-98

Anathema 88-90

Corrosion of Conformity 92-94

Don't forget those peak measurements may only last a second. It's generally not in the upper region. So factor in what plugs would take off those reafings and I believe you're quite safe.

25. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Yeah, great band! I forgot about them for a long time and recently got back into 'em. I'm retired from concerts, though. Melt-Banana a few years back when they toured the usa was my last big one. I just don't like traveling anymore. Only show I've ever been to where the whole crowd seemed to be wearing ear plugs or head muffs. Japanesse noise-metal is nothing to fuck with, though. I was expecting to spend half the show outside, but it ended up not even being that loud. Like I could easily have a conversation with someone standing in the upper back. No problems. Not even a slight peak of my tinnitus. Worst shows I've ever been to for volume are local bar metal shows... small spaces cranked to max... beyond stupid. I tried going to a few of them since the bands were good, but I walked out really early always and hung out outside and chatted with people. Came back in once when the one of the shows ended and one of the singers says into the mic, "my ears are ringing LOUD! fuck yeah!" I just shook my head thinking, "dumbass" and grabbed a drink.

• Like Like x 2
    26. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I laughed so hard :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Outdoor or indoors? how far were you from the stage? and how loud it was? sorry for the the lots of questions!! i wanna go see a band this weekend but i only have foam ear plugs! XD

28. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      You saw dinosaur jr!!! OMGGG :D
      one of my favorites, i saw them last year when i was T free.
      you used ear foams?

29. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i saw Dinosaur Jr last years at the FYF, i didnt think they were that loud! :O
      but i cant remember!!

sadly my bloody valentines is one of my favorites bands and i cant wait to watch them live!
      or maybe i wont :/

30. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      'Loveless' is an amazing album, but you couldn't pay me to see them live :)

• Like Like x 1