Prednisolone 5mg for Early Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi everybody!

I am very new to this forum and to tinnitus as well. I tried to post an introduction but I don't think I managed to.

Anyway I have an acoustic trauma induced tinnitus since last Saturday (4-5 days now). I went out with a couple of friends and unknowingly stood next to the speakers for about 2.5 hours. I left the venue with a really loud ringing and a lot of numbness. It has gotten more silent however I am seeing no improvement for the past three days.

I went to the ENT after reading some of your posts in hopes that my tinnitus is not permanent. I was diagnosed with hearing loss and the doctor put me on some steroid (Predisolone 5mg -- 2 tablets three times a day). I have been taking them consistently but I am worried about the pressure changes they have been causing in my left ear. It has been feeling very numb and clogged especially today (my third day on the meds) and there hasn't been any improvement with the tinnitus. Has anybody gotten treatment for their tinnitus with this type of medication and familiar with such side effects. It would be great to hear the experiences and opinions about this type of treatment early on with cases of acoustical trauma.

Any opinions as to the permanence and potential ways to cope would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      that's 30 mg a day ?
      A bit low to have much effect
      Usually it's 60 to 250mg with a stomach drug to limit stomach lining damage

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      I'm not sure, it hasn't really been doing much except causing a lot of pressure. Maybe I should ask for a higher dose tomorrow when I revisit? The ENT prescribed it along with two other meds called Methycobal and a Japanese brand (I think) called Adepthos Kowa (active ingredient : Cellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, talc, triethyl citrate, titanium oxide). Are you familiar with those and how helpful they might be?

4. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Looks like methycobal is a certain type of vitamin B12, and it looks like the Japanese drug dialates the blood vessals- some people say that can help tinnitus perhaps? Shouldn’t hurt to take them