Completed Proof-of-Concept Study Assessing VNS Paired With Tones for Tinnitus

To provide feasibility information on the clinical use of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS).

1. Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

Proof-of-Concept Study Assessing VNS Paired With Tones for Tinnitus (version 1.0) - To provide feasibility information on the clinical use of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS).

Read more about this resource...

2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01253616?term=vagus+tinnitus&rank=2

I see that for this study, participants needed to have "at least some tonal quality" to their tinnitus. Just what does that mean?

I would describe mine as a "hissing" sound inside my head, not really in either ear. Like a really high pitched hissing. I wonder what about the hissing/roaring tinnitus makes it a reason for exclusion? Difficulty in matching pitch of the tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hudson, I also have hissing which is the main sound I hear outside my head but if I plug my ears and listen carefully I can hear a tonal sound under that but only inside my head. I normally cannot hear the tonal sound unless I am in a very quiet room or have in ear plugs

4. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Funny, same thing here. I wonder if there is a catalog somewhere of the kinds of sounds people hear, and how it changes through the day.

5. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I received an email about participating in this possibly in August. Microtransponder is supposed to be starting up the next phase of their trials regarding this in August. It will be interesting to see what the inclusion criteria for this phase will be.

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Hudson

Let us know their criteria. Several months ago, I saw a Youtube video about Microtransponder and its application to tinnitus and chronic pain. The video included several spokespeople, including the ATA. I currently am unable to find that video. If I do, I will post. It had information about success rates and side effects. I can't recall the specifics.

Did find a link with pertinent information on success rates, etc., which was presented at the 2012 TRI conference:

http://www.microtransponder.com/?page_id=228

7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      • Like Like x 1
    8. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @jazz

Great video. thanks for posting.

9. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      The researcher at the University of Iowa I spoke with was very optimistic about stimulation for treatment of tinnitus. As he put it, the only actual tinnitus relief they had ever seen in the vast majority of patients was with those who have cochlear implants. Of course, he is a CI expert, and that's not a viable option for the majority of us as we do not have profound hearing loss. But he said the implications of that mean that electrical stimulation in one way or another will be the best avenue for helping patients.

10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I know two people who have had implants. Neither patient's tinnitus was removed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. lost horizons

lost horizons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Micro transponder is doing another round of fund raising. They are planning on getting their product for tinnitus on the market within a year in europe. Perhaps some one else has more info on this.

12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I hope it is promising. Unfortunately, this is a slow process. They have been at this for some years now with not much to show for it. I have been on their email list for years and barely have received anything (nothing in past 2 years) and their website hasn't changed much in the past 3 years. I am not big on the idea of a transplant device in my neck and at the cost of around $40,000 (disclaimer: I believe that was the original cost, not sure what it is now and I could be wrong), most couldn't afford it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Good video.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I received the vns 9 yrs ago to help with my epilepsy and depression in the last 2 yrs I've started losing my hearing in my left ear I've got the symptoms of tinnitus but not yet diagnosed with it has the vns and tone treatment had any effect or has it made it worse

15. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma