Pulsatile Tinnitus — Caused by Cyst Picked Up by Airport Scanner?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allison Evans, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Allison Evans

Allison Evans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

This is my first post. I've had a "whooshing" in my ear for over a year now. This timr last year, it was only subtle and would come and go.

Four months ago, it increased and has been increasing slowly. I've connected that it is my pulse that I am hearing in my right ear only.

I finally saw an ENT last Monday, who advised I am healthy and there may be no underlying causes for this.

He is sending me for an Urgent MRI to be sure (and by Urgent, could take 3 months to be performed).

A few weeks ago I had to travel for work. I was "selected" at the airport to go in one of those big scanners. When it was finished, I got out and looked at the screen. It showed a yellow box around my right ear. Security told me that something was picked up around my right ear and they had to inspect.

I found is so strange since this is the ear I have been having issues with. I have also been having face tingingling, weakness in my arms and neck, dizziness, and overall not feeling right.

Could it be poosible that the airport security scanner picked up on something "foreign" in my head, like a cyst? I have since googled and have found a few cases of this,

I actually pray to God that the MRI picks up on something, as that way, maybe something can be done and this pulse will stop! it is driving me crazy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow... you never know... security scanner is powerful !! :huganimation:
      I will stay away as far as possible ... radioactive wave ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allison Evans

Allison Evans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      LOL I am sure my face went white when I looked at the screen and told them that it ws so strange because I am having issues with that ear (as well as a small lump/bump behind my ear, almost where my head meets my neck, which no doctor can really explain to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. grnigrly18

grnigrly18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Allison,
      I have had PT in my right ear as well for almost 3 years. Mine was constant, 24/7 for 1.5 years. Then it went away for 6 months, then came back but only intermittently. I have some of the same symptoms as you (facial tingling, dizziness & overall not feeling well). I ALSO have a hard “bump” in the same area you described on the same side that I experience the PT. I’ve been told by an ENT & neuro-opthalmologist that it’s a muscle and a neurologist told me she thought it was a part of my spine (although an MRI of that area of my spine showed nothing out of alignment). Do you happen to have a TMJ disorder?
      I wish you luck with your MRI and I hope they find what’s causing your PT. It can be so life altering.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jenjen123

Jenjen123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy
      I am going for an MRI today. I've had pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear for nearly a year.. Feeling apprehensive on what the results may be.

I had an ultrasound earlier in the week as I well. I do want them to find something... But want it to be treatable and an easy fix. Wishful thinking.

Let me know if you would like me to update.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Vicky17

Vicky17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you considered seeing an osteopath. I had tingling arms, pulsatile tinnitus, ear ache and I’ve struggled with wind in my ears like someone is holding them open. Generally I feel crap but think much of that is down to anxiety too. I have seen an osteopath who thinks my problems are all down to very tight neck muscles. I’m doing some gentle stretches in the hope that this sorts things out.

X

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allison Evans

Allison Evans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't believe I have a TMJ disorder. I really feel there is a cyst somewhere. But if the MRI comes back normal, I guess I will have to deal with it, as hard as it is. The pulsing is enough to drive a person crazy! I will update as soon as I have the MRI :)

8. Jane87

Jane87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      HI Jen

How did you get on with your MRI? I have pulsatile tinnitus too.

9. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      You have to get an MRA. An MRI won't show anything.