Pulsatile Tinnitus for Years — Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by pulsing, Jun 15, 2016.

1. pulsing

pulsing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My pulsatile tinnitus is getting worse especially at night. Went to ENT, he did not find anything. So now neurologist who has found a pinched neck nerve and is concentrating on getting rid of that. But when I was in the ER for what i thought was a possible stroke they did an MRI that found my right external carotid artery clogged at 'greater than 50%'. Neuro is completely unconcerned about this, states 'we don't do anything til its around 90%' (?!). Put me on some physical therapy and possible cortisone shot for the pinched nerve, which bothers me as well, it is true.

I just don't like the way she has brushed aside this carotid artery thing, first she said I needed to follow up with the 'people who did the MRI'. I said, um emergency department, they said do followup with you guys. Just completely unconcerned about it. Is pulsatile tinnitus not something a neurologist does and if not them, then who after the ENT found nothing?

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @pulsing,

Yes, I thought neurologists knew something about pulsatile tinnitus. The other types of doctors I can suggest are neurotologist and neurointerventional radiologist. The radiologist might be able to read your scan and determine if this is a dangerous situation, requiring imminent treatment.

I'd suggest going to another doctor to get a second opinion.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find out!!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pulsing

pulsing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for your concern. And yes I have an appointment next week with my primary care and will ask for 2d opinion on the neuro, who I am getting more exasperated with...I emailed her about my concern that the carotid thing might have something to do with the pulsatile tinnitus and she told me that it was not a 'neurological'. Now she tells me I do not have a tumor in my ear! Hello, never said I was worried about that but rather a connection between carotid and pulsatile tinnitus. Will talk with me in August thank you very much.