Question on Clonazepam Tapering

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 6, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      So, I've been on clonazepam 0.5 mg for a about four months now, and am thinking it's time to taper off. My ENT said I could probably just stop because it's a low dose, but I don't think I want to do that.

I've read through the Ashton, although didn't find a specific taper schedule for 0.5 mg, only higher doses. After more research and thorough confusion, I thought it through and realized I have enough refills to try something like the following: 3/4 pill for a month, 1/2 pill next month, then quarter-pill the month after that, then maybe trying to cut the quarter pill in half, if necessary for another two weeks to a month.

My question is to anyone who has tapered off of a lower dose of clonazepam after less than 6 months use -- does this seem like a reasonable taper? Do the decreases seem appropriate, or too much at a time?

I understand everyone reacts differently to these things and I'll have to gauge my own progress, and, ultimately, make my own decision. I'm just trying to get a sense of how other people tapered and what worked for them.

(Note: I've read all the horror stories there are to read online, so there's no need to reiterate those, here. I get that this can be difficult. I'm just looking for general input on what tapering schedules you found effective. Also -- are "t" spikes likely as one tapers?)

Thanks!

Mystery Reader

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Mystery Reader ,
      Your taper plans should be fine but always let your doctor know what you want to do and if he's ok with it before you start.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis
      Thank you! I hope your weekend has gone well and that the wedding tomorrow is wonderful :)

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Mystery Reader ,
      Had a lovely weekend and off work tomorrow and have my grandsons .
      The wedding is Friday.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I have tapered off BENZOs and Xanax multiple times after months of use. I never really have issues getting off it and it usually takes me around a week. Each person will handle it differently though.

If you have addiction or alcoholics in your family this is a sign that you may be predisposed for side-effects of getting off the meds..

If you start to taper make sure your close family members are monitoring you. They are the best judge externally on how you are reacting. Sometimes you can't see things yourself. Trust me..

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dayma
      Thanks for your input, here. Trying to get as many viewpoints as possible, and your response is useful.

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
    7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't know the answer to your question, but have you considered crossing over to Valium, which Professor Ashton sometimes recommends? That seems to be the preferable way to go for some. When I quit clonazepam in Dec. 2017, I did not taper properly at all, it was virtually cold turkey, as I thought I had not used it enough to warrant a taper, and ended up having bad w/d symptoms. I think I would have avoided a lot of discomfort (to put it mildly) had I at least cut down the dose of clonazepam as you are planning to do. Good luck, you will recover, no question, just take it slowly whatever you decide.

8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      At 0.5mg of Clonazepam I don't see any problems with the taper you've suggested. You could probably even taper off faster if you felt comfortable - but everyone's a little different.

If you want to be super cautious about it, you could switch over the to equivalent dose of Diazepam (Valium) and taper off with that. The insanely long half-life of Diazepam makes it much smoother when tapering. But at 0.5mg clonazepam, I don't think you'll have too many issues either way you choose to proceed.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Mystery Reader,

I took clonazepam for several years before deciding to taper off and eventually quit. In my experience, the initial tapering was relatively easy. I went from 2.0 mg to 1.5 and stayed there for 3-4 weeks. Same with the next two 0.5 mg reductions. From .5 I reduced it .1 at a time, until I got to .1. This all took me close to a year. It was the last .1 that I had the most difficult time with, which took me another six months or so.

Like you say, we're all different, and I was on it much longer and at a much higher dose than you. But I did want you to be aware that the last increment you withdraw from may possibly be more difficult than the earlier increments. Even after I quit for good, I still felt a little to "edgy" for a few months. I eventually bought a microcurrent device called alpha-stim. It costed around $500 or so, but it was very helpful for me, and finally took the final edge off of my withdrawal from clonazepam.

I would be awfully surprised if your tapering gives you anywhere near the difficulty I had. But if you do find it stretching out longer than anticipated, I would suggest you consider alpha-stim. I'm convinced I would have tapered off in far less time if I had had it to start with. -- Microcurrent treatments can aid in calming down any number of brain dysfunctions, including the edginess that often accompanys Alzheimers. It's also been reported to be helpful for some cases of tinnitus--again, because of its calming effect on the brain.

THIS is where I purchased mine online... [I have no financial interest in this whatsoever.]

Good luck with your tapering!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lane @yonkapin @Luman

Thanks for your input here, folks. It is all very useful to me as I approach this. I very much appreciate your sharing your thoughts and experience with me.

Mystery Reader