Random Clicking Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by XiviaN, Dec 3, 2017.

1. XiviaN

XiviaN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, possibly headphone use.
      Hey guys

Does anyone here get like random clicking sounds in their ear/s? It's really strange, I have unilateral tinnitus in my left ear (quite a loud hissing/buzzing sort of sound that varies in volume and intensity constantly) but on top of that every now and then I get a weird clicking sound that sounds kinda like an electrical short which lasts about 4 or 5 clicks and then disappears for a little while then happens again.

I think I need to call a Neuroelectrician to rewire my brain :p

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds like Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      XiviaN

XiviaN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting, because my tinnitus got louder recently, so maybe it's the anxiety that I've been getting from that, that's causing the additional sound. I'm definitely finding it significantly more difficult to habituate to it, now that's it's louder than it was before which creates a kind of vicious anxiety cycle for me.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety, but I didn't notice any link between anxiety and T.

If what you have is TTTS, there is hope that in a couple of months it will get better. I used to hear a "whoosh" in my ear all of the time, and after 10 months I hear it a lot less often.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      XiviaN

XiviaN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus got louder with this clicking sound as well for about a month or so now, so here's hoping within a few months it'll return to a quieter level and be a bit more manageable than it is now. It's just very difficult to distract myself from the sound once I've locked onto it, which is not hard for my brain to do at the moment apparently.

Thanks for the positive reply Bill :) it's always comforting knowing that you have people like the ones on this forum who can relate on some level to something that might seem subjective or unimportant to people who don't really know what it's like having an irritating noise in your ear/s all day.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The first time I read about T (years before I got T), I was blown away - it sounded absolutely horrific. It is shocking that someone could understand what T is, and still think that it is unimportant.