Re-Habituation

Discussion in 'Support' started by NetroPhil, May 20, 2017.

1. NetroPhil
      Jaded

NetroPhil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Due to my recent circumstances, I've been wondering - when you get tinnitus first time round, you eventually get used to the sound and (at least in my case) it gets to the point where you can barely even hear it, or if you can it doesn't really effect you too badly.

What if you get an increase in your tinnitus - a permanent increase, do you get used to that too? Would you rehabituate to a sound increase?

2. Steve Hubert

Steve Hubert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe. You raise a good point that many fail to appreciate. The level or quality of the T can fluctuate and because of that habitation can be made more difficult. Tinnitus can reach very high levels and while many will manage to cope, habitation may not be an likely outcome as it would be for less intrusive T.

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Yes, you will get used to that as well. If you fight it, then it will be hard to do this. I accepted all new sounds and higher level of tinnitus. IT IS, WHAT IT IS! That's my motto, no need to get emotional over the matter. That's how I deal with things and it works....

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My tinnitus increased in 2008 to very severe levels and took 4 year to habituate for 2nd time. Everyone is different but I believe it is possible to rehabituate. However, do what you can to protect your ears from loud noise. If your tinnitus was caused by loud noise, I advise not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume. Some people with tinnitus are not affected by headphone use but I think there is a risk of making tinnitus worse using them, especially if the original cause of onset was loud noise exposure.

Michael

• Like Like x 1