Recent Acute Acoustic Trauma — Requesting Support Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raab, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello friends. I am saddened to say that my T has worsened again recently - acoustic trauma from prolonged exposure to a loud speaker in a pub setting last Saturday. This is unfortunate, as I had habituated well up to this point. Consequently, I am very regretful and angry with myself now. :banghead::cry: The not-sleeping, increased-anxiety-suffering-remorsefulness and negativity cycle we each know all too well is in a tiresome full spin at present..

Since the episode occurred only 6 days ago I am looking for any advice on what could be an effective treatment response. While I am trying to be optimistic that I will eventually habituate again, I would like to try and take whatever action I can while I can. I am considering corticosteroids as a possible option or Retigabine. I've heard that corticosteroids may be beneficial in early onset acoustic trauma? My GP was unfortunately not very knowledgeable on the matter (as is too often the case, sadly) and I am looking for your advice and help.

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Hopefully it f you can get the go to give steroids go for it, but soon, very soon. I would steer ckear of loud noise now, let your ears start to repairs. Have nature sounds playing at a low volume. Eat well and do what you can to get enough sleep. To me the most important thing is avoid noise, but not good sound.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Please try not to panic as the stress will feed your tinnitus too.
      Your ears have had a shock and are letting you know they are not happy.
      Give your ears a break from loud sounds and concentrate on staying calm and do what you can to relax.
      Fingers crossed your having a spike set off by the loud sound and given time will reduce back to your base sound.
      Keep us posted how you get on and sending lots of hugs your way.
      Give it time and stay calm...lots of love glynis

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've got two supportive stories for you.
      Search "Mega Tinnitus" where I tell about getting blasted hard, probably a lot harder than you did, and it did settle down.
      The second is a method that really helped me. I wouldn't lie to an Irishman. My grandma would swat me.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Did u have ear plugs in ?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello again friends. Thank you all for your advice and support which has been very helpful. I'm sorry my reply is late, having read your replies earlier, as I have been preoccupied.

Thankfully, I do feel better than previously, especially after getting better sleep compared to all week. My goal has been primarily to keep good habits of getting decent, sufficient sleep and not succumbing to the bad habits of mindlessly entertaining stress or anxiety. Sleep, Stress, Anxiety... I believe such things are half the battle with T to be honest..

Thanks my friend for the good advice. I'm still unsure of corticosteroids. I need more evidence to be convinced that such a profound course of treatment is truely beneficial. I forever plan to avoid loud noise though, that is for sure.

Thanks glynis love. :huganimation: You're very kind. I hope it is just a spike and I can go back to coping as good as I was.

Thanks for sharing your amazing stories IWLM. I read the latter one before and I think it's some of the best helpful advice you could give to any sufferer. It seems along the lines of buddhist mindfulness - Awareness and acknowledgment of your mental states, thoughts and feelings with honesty and constant gentle application of effort to cultivate better habits. The Mega Tinnitus story was incredible and you (and your lovely swatting grandma:)) have my utmost respect. I feel more optimistic that given time things will improve.

No my friend I did not unfortunately, and had been cursing myself all week as a result. :arghh: Always protect your hearing and the hearing of your loved ones.

7. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      The evidence on steroids for acoustic trauma (or even sudden hearing loss) is mixed, but it is nonetheless steroid treatment is pretty standard. I doubt they would help your tinnitus, but they might help in the event that you have suffered any hearing loss. Unless there is some strong reason not to, I would seriously consider oral steroids in this case. Intratympanic steroids would require much more thought....

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks Aaron. I don't feel as though I have suffered noticeable hearing loss unless it is in the higher frequencies. You share my thoughts on administration also. I would certainly be much more wary toward a needle's worth through the tympanic membrane, for fear of worsening of the condition further. :cautious: Having said that, I should've been wary of loud speakers with too much bass..