Recently Developed Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by xen, Mar 18, 2018.

1. xen

xen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      feb/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known
      hi all ,

my name is Xen

i recently developed tinnitus , roughly about a month or so ago

basically just woke up one morning to a high pitched whistling noise

quite scary , as it came on really strong , and could hardly sleep for the first 2 weeks , . literally going out of my mind . it's pretty much balanced in terms of noise level from both ears

after some research on the net , paid for a private session of micro suction at a Harley street clinic to remove excess wax

this just ended up making my hearing hypersensitive

waiting for a referral to come through for the ENT hospital in Kings Cross , but that could take a while

meditating seems to help to reduce noise level enough for me to sleep , but it does tend to spike randomly aswell

i'm currently undertaking acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine treatment , but no difference as yet

also taking a B complex supplement , but apparently , it will take 6 weeks to kick in

would really appreciate some advice on how to cope with, or treat this condition. ideally need to isolate cause , as there's so much info on the net , regarding causes and treatments , it's quite confusing

sleep deprivation really sucks

thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suggest you follow the diagnostic flowchart.

• Like Like x 1
    3. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi @xen. Maybe some relaxing music at a low volume can help you fall asleep. I keep music on in the background when my tinnitus is especially bothersome. I know it's not easy. I hope your doctor's appointment brings you good news. But in the meantime, you need to get your sleep. :huganimation:

4. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I got a sound machine for quiet rooms which I plan on using at bed time. From what I hear it's good to keep the noise just below your T so it gets drowned out and your body gets used to it. I've been listening to a YouTube video of rain falling which has been very helpful in quiet rooms
      Rain Sounds 10 Hours:The Sound of Rain...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      xen

xen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      feb/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known
      hi , and thanks very much for your replies

yes have also been experimenting with loads of you tube music and sounds to aid sleep , but unfortunately i'm such a light sleeper the sounds end up keeping me awake

only thing i have found that can reduce noise level enough for me to at least have some sleep is meditation

although last week was quite testing to put mildly . had quite a few spikes in the T , and not sure why

hope you guys are able to manage it well

doesn't really bother me during the day , as other sounds seem to mask it

strange , but seems the more attention i pay to the T , the louder it becomes , or at least my perception of it

also have watch a you tube video that mentions high levels of vitamin D3 can help

thanks for the flow chart Greg .

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Yes, the more attention we pay to T will alert the brain to think there must be something wrong with that sensation. It will try to sensitize it to alert us of its presence. If we react in fear, then all hell will break loose as the brain will think T is now a mortal threat and it will trigger the limbic nervous system to cause us function in fight or flight mode. This will then cause T to be front and center in our senses and will appear loud to our perception.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      xen

xen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      feb/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known
      cheers for the advice guys .honestly would be completely lost without this type of advice.

if i had to rely on GP , and referal to ENT , which probably won't come through for a couple of months, i would be going out of my mind

will check out the link also

just would like to mention something i discovered last night

after yet another spike , was struggling to relax and sleep . placed palms of my hands over both ears to seal , then started to rotate palms round the ears , ensuring to keep a tight seal

tinnitus seemed to ease off , and was able to have some sleep

9. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      I do not agree with the flow chart. Did you have any medical or dental work done? Have you been exposed to any chemicals recently? New medication?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      xen

xen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      feb/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known
      hi Laurie ,

no dental work , or new medication

cannot pin down the actual cause

woke up earlier than I usually do one morning , listened to some music , low volume as I normally do , via headphones . a few minutes after I removed headphone , the T kicked in

thanks Bill , found some useful info via link you posted , regarding the avoidance of spike triggers

I suspect a more realistic outlook for me would be on management of T for now , although I would , as most of us prefer it gone

has anyone seen the following you tube vid ?

How I eased my tinnitus with vitamin D3

I don't have much access to natural sunlight , as I'm in a workshop all day , with no windows .D3 might be worth a shot .

• Like Like x 1
    11. John Liddell

John Liddell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Xen, I appreciate it has been some time since you have posted on the site but have you had the ENT appointment and if so what was the outcome. I plan to see a GP again soon after developed T in Apr this year and initially saw a GP who had a quick look in my ears and saw nothing so that was that. I also now notice a dull ache at the side of my head behind my left ear at times.