Recently Got Tinnitus from Anti-Inflammatories

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DannyJones, Jan 1, 2020.

1. DannyJones

DannyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti inflammatories
      Hi all.

I’m in late 30s, and just got persistent tinnitus from overuse of anti-inflammatories after pulling my back. I had had intermittent tinnitus that wasn’t too bothersome before due to what I now know was longer term use for a bad back and shoulder, but after pulling my back I went overboard not knowing. I quit the anti-inflammatories 2 weeks ago but the tinnitus persists and I’m now struggling to sleep, depressed, anxious it will get worse. Last night I woke and heard a new loud tone for about 2 seconds then it faded but it sent my heart racing thinking it’s going to get worse.

I also have some hyperacusis with certain noises although I think that’s slowly improving.

My doctor was no help and prescribed me more anti-inflammatories for my back (which I didn’t take).
      The ENT basically told me to mask the sound and come back for a follow up in 6 months. But I think the tinnitus has got a little worse since seeing the ENT.

I’m spending the whole day pacing the house with my phone playing cricket sounds.

I will have more questions soon, but this is just an introduction to my situation which I’m sure many of you have worse.

Quick question as it’s New Year’s Eve, I know alcohol can make tinnitus worse. But is that temporarily due to the brain effects, or because it further damages the ear? A few drinks is all that can calm me enough to ignore the sound and get to sleep. If I drink a few tonight is there risk I’ll damage my ears even more? Should I give up alcohol to prevent further damage?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Danny. There are conflicting reports on alcohol usage while suffering tinnitus. Some members claim that alcohol makes their T worse (shouldn't damage the hearing or ears). So we generally advise members to not use alcohol excessively. Others say they feel calmer and their T less intrusive after drinking beer or wine. It is like an escape for some. You can do searches on 'alcohol' by clicking the Forum button on to left, then type in your search text. Below is a sample search on alcohol. Check if you can find more info on using it. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/3743939/?q=alcohol&o=relevance

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DannyJones

DannyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti inflammatories
      Thank you billie. It definitely helps me relax and ignore it somewhat. Glad it shouldn’t be causing more damage. Unfortunately the music was very loud at the party and I had to leave anyway :(

4. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      Alcohol just relaxes a bit and makes me ignore my tinnitus. Never noticed any increase in volume from alcohol, coffee or other stuff, but your case may vary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DannyJones

DannyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti inflammatories
      Thanks for the replies so far. I have far more questions being new to this, but don't want to open a new thread.

I have a visit with another ENT on Tuesday and want to make sure I ask enough questions and get as much help as I can in the early stages. I have had the tinnitus and hyperacusis for just over 2 weeks now. It is extremely high pitched tinnitus, and the hyperacusis seems to be higher frequencies that sound louder, such as fridges/freezers in supermarkets, kids screaming, keys/glasses clinking etc.

Is there anything I should be asking for? I read steroid injections, but I think that is only in the immediate days after and specific to noise induced, whereas mine is medication induced.
      Should I just try to ignore the ache from the hyperacusis and try to get used to it? I keep worrying that the pain means my ears are getting more damaged and could make the tinnitus worse.
      I also have weird pressure especially when I'm out, where I feel like I need to keep popping my ears like when on an airplane. Is that part of the hyperacusis or another problem?

Should I look into TRT, CBT? I've also been looking into Lenire, and a Tinnitus Clinic in the UK which seem to have a similar treatment but without the mouth/tongue piece. Is it premature to be looking at these? And is the UK one worth it or is Lenire the only one that holds any hope?

Should I be masking the tinnitus as much as possible (playing cricket sounds for example) or just trying to get used to it?

Should I look into hearing aids, or are they not useful at my pitch of tinnitus (13.4kHz)?

Should I ask the ENT to refer me to an audiologist or otologist?

Sorry for all the random questions but I want to be armed with as much information as possible before my second ENT visit. Many thanks in advance.