Recommendations for Diagnostic Tests?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamclem, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Hello everyone,

I have been to the T doctor and she said that there is not much more investigating available for pulsatile tinnitus as they did not find anything of the MRI scan apart from no tumours.

Would any of you recommend any further ways of diagnostic, ie CT scans etc?

Thanks

J

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Don't bother.
      You can have a doppler (ultrasound) of your carotid artery to see if there's any problem there.
      Problem is, the way ultrasounds work, they just measure the speed of the blood rushing through the artery towards your brain and back.
      Then the doctor compares that speed to some common values and if you're within the proper range, you're cool.
      The only way to get a diagnosis through a carotid doppler is to have a previous one (say from when you didn't have tinnitus) so the doctor can compare the two and (maybe) find something which has been changing for the worst.
      Unlikely.

Same thing with MRI.
      It simply shows some images of areas of interest to the radiologist. Now, certain artifacts on those images like lesions or tumors show pretty well, but ear issues? No. The brain MRI is a very useless exam for tinnitus - excluding acoustic neuroma which is like the rarest thing out there and usually benign.
      Maybe the best fucking radiologist in the world can make something out but even that is a slim chance.
      Again, if you had an older MRI for comparison...

One last test is the MRA, which is kinda like an MRI but the machine makes images of the blood vessels running around your brain. Still extremely difficult to diagnose anything unless there is something hideously obvious like a vessel twisted around your acoustic nerve or some gigantic fistula in your cochlea.

A CT scan will not be any more useful than an MRI, besides giving a pretty hefty amount of radiation.

Sorry for the pessimistic answers but the simple truth is that current imaging techniques were not designed for ear issues in the first place and are only performed so that your doctor can rule out something extremely serious.
      However, you need to talk to your doc about your options since (real) pulsatile tinnitus might actually have an underlying cause.

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Jamclem

If you are certain you have pulsatile tinnitus, and if it is very bothersome or worrisome to you, you should continue searching for answers. There is another type of CT scan that can be performed, called a CTA, that involves being injected with contrast dye. You could ask about that test, and find out the results. Then, if you are still concerned, you might want to consider sending your scans out to other doctors. I've heard that a good type of doctor to review your scans is a neurointerventional radiologist.

Some people have undergone an angiogram and found the cause of their PT. In my opinion, it depends upon how much it is bothering you, if it has gotten significantly worse recently, and if you are very worried about it.

You might want to look for more information and success stories on Whooshers.com, a website devoted to people with pulsatile tinnitus.

Good luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      If the pulsatile T is only manifesting on one side, then perhaps a doppler ultrasound comparing the left the to the right or vice versa may be helpful.

5. Carrie O'Brien

Carrie O'Brien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ever sense my TMJD symptoms got worse
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJD
      Hello, I have horrible TMD my ears won't "pop" this has been going on and off again sense January. It is worst on my left side. It feels like I have water in my ear and it sounds very strange when I talk. Kinda like I have a speaker box in my ear. Can't hear good when it is full. It seems like it wants 2 calm down but won't. It feels like something is pushing against my ear. I don't want 2 wait another year 2, get this treated. Plus I have posture issues. Vertigo dizziness and my muscles are always in a "fight or flight mode" Could be inflammation of the joint by my ear. It fuckung hurts. When I talk it sounds like there is an echo at time's. I do need to see a neuromuscular dentist. I don't know how I am going to work being in this much pain. I wish someone would help me out with money or I could get more money from my SSI. This is not making me feel good. Very debilitating. Get back 2 me anytime your friend Carrie

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Thanks everyone for their replies. I wrote my doctor a list of all the possible ways of PT diagnosis I could find online. She replied and suggested an ultrasound with doppler. Thanks for the tip @The Red Viper :)... Oh well I think it is worth trying out everything. PT doesnt come from nothing.

See u

• Like Like x 2