Red Ear Syndrome (RES)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marko Nakovski, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have had hyperacusis for almost 4 months. Tomorrow will mark 4 months with this terrible disease or should I call it a symptom. I will just write my story shortly to not make the post so long and focus more on the main problem.

In the first 2 weeks my hyperacusis was very bad after noise exposure (shooting with a gun), the following week I had a small improvement, then for 2 and a half weeks I had moderate hyperacusis but didn't have any problems when people were speaking. After that one day I woke up and I noticed that my ears were very full, like after being popped.

Strange thing recently is that even If I'm staying in silence or I'm not exposed to some loud noises at all my ears still hurt.

Another problem that I've been experiencing in the past month are attacks of red ear burning and they also become hot soon after that.

The pain is not the same as pain after long noise exposure, it's more like wound skin burning. Hard for me to explain...

The main causes for red ear syndrome are:

Touching the ears, neck movement, heat and exercise.

When I wake up, almost always my ears turn red and the pain is unbearable which sometimes can spread to jaw, neck or face. Also almost always I have these attacks after my room becomes hot when I turn the level of my air conditioner to 7 (highest is 8) or after I've spent some hours playing video games which again makes sense since my neck is then not in the natural position.

My ears are literally red color. I have also read that RES is connected with trigeminal nerve which is the same story with hyperacusis.

This condition is a mystery and doesn't have enough data at all. Only 100 patients were investigated from 1994 and it seems like doctors don't know too much about this condition.

Anyone have some experience to share for this symptom or maybe have some information about the cause, treatment or anything else?