Rifle/Machine Gun Shooting Hearing Loss & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bobby B, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Hi everyone
      47 Years old , not new to temporary tinnitus and cumulative noise damage due to loud clubs and military service , hobby shooting guns etc mostly with ear protection but I guess the last shooting session at an indoor range was the one too much.
      Had foam plugs and a decent ear muffs but I guess the rifle was so loud that it went through especially the high frequencies.
      I now have for hearing loss at 8khz and upwards at the left ear mostly - on the muzzle side.
      And of course a high pitched tonal tinnitus - jet engine type when the room is quiet.
      I downloaded some white noise app on
      My Iphone and that's the only way for me to get some sleep for the last 3 weeks since it started .
      Started some prednisone 2 days ago , vitamin b12 , zinc and hydrogenated water (see research on guinea pigs wiht noise damage ) - since tinnitus didn't go away after 2 weeks like it did before .

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Mic Mike
      Torn

Mic Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Its disconcerting that no one acknowledged your post, you mention sounds going away after 2 weeks...I have a little bit of hope that mine goes that way but I need to accept this. How did the predisnone and vitamins treat you?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i think age plays a role , as damage is cumulative
      if your young you have better chances

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      oh and sound did not go away at all...

but its softer and less loud than the days after the shooting , maybe 25 to 50% of what it was , sometimes even better if I'm relaxed on the week-end and I just woke up.

The light therapy is helping no doubt but its slow.

The 2 weeks story was another time, when i got T a few years back after a very loud night of clubbing in Thailand in one of those tiny cave with huge speakers...

Steroids helped with sound quality and H improvements but not T

• Useful Useful x 1