Running (Exercise in General) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichT, Jun 1, 2013.

1. RichT
      Blah

RichT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/09/2000
      Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of running causing their tinnitus to get worse permanently?

I have read that running or any other high impact exercise should be avoided as it damages crystals in the ear (?), however, running makes me feel mentally a lot better and I seem to be able to cope better and don't dwell on my tinnitus as much after a good blast. I am not sure if this is making it worse or not as I have recently suffered a pretty major breakdown which I suspect to be the root cause.

I seem to be over the worst of that but my tinnitus is worse than ever :( and I don't want to keep on running if it's exacerbating the tinnitus.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
      Rich

• Like Like x 2
    2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Rich, it's difficult to say really, high impact exercises can sometimes make my tinnitus worse but it's only temporary. I stopped jogging many years ago but I do sometimes do HIIT exercises using Kettlebells or very occasionally sprinting. That's does make it louder for a little while.

Everyone's ears are different so what might effect someone could have no effect on somebody else. My friend's dad has been jogging his whole life and has competed in something like 20+ London marathons but he has perfect hearing and no tinnitus and is in his late 50's. Everyone reacts differently.

Exercise does make people feel good in general so if you are worried that running might make your tinnitus louder on a permanent basis maybe you can try other types of exercises perhaps?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Rich,

I don't jog but I play a lot of sports namely basketball and soccer several times a week. It does usually make my tinnitus spike for the day but like others said it is temporary for me. The enjoyment and exercise I get out of it is worth it for me anyway. I am sure you will get better once you get thru this bad spell.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Rich T-
      I also run. I just ran a 5K last week. For me, it has no effect at all.

The key to whether it effects your tinnitus, is whether running somehow excites the nerves associated with tinnitus. For most people, running increases endorphins, which make our mood better.

My advice: Don't stop running. If it makes your tinnitus worse, it's only temporary. The benefits out weight a temporary spike.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I started "running" (it is rather fast walking yet) after tinnitus worsening. I was never runner before, but now I need to do something active instead of sitting home and grieving over noise. So I am walking/running almost every day. It causes me spikes too, but I don't care about them, they are temporary. In fact, running makes me feel better, suppresses anxiety, I sleep better and has overall good impact on my condition.

I always needed to lose some weight, and now I am finally doing it :) At least one positive thing, that came from my worsened tinnitus.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Running or jogging may spike my tinnitus but it's always temporary, go ahead and run, you'll feel better and may sleep even better afterwards, I do... when I run outside I don't wear plugs, but when I run in the gym, sometimes it's louder there so I just place cotton balls in my ears while I run in the treadmill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I run regularly and I have no negative side effects regarding tinnitus. I think it's good to keep exercising and I keep telling myself that it keeps my tinnitus. from getting worse. Don't run with music, though. It's easy to turn up the volume. Also, if you feel better in general it helps you to cope with your tinnitus.

I'm 100% sure tinnitus caused by noise/loud music can't worsen with exercise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Out of everything I've tried to treat my tinnitus volume, making sure I get a regular amount of cardio exercise into my schedule has been, by far, the most effective form of treatment for myself.

I often forget how important this is actually. This past week and a bit I've been appling for new jobs and have been all over the city for interviews and what not, so I got a bit lazy and I wasn't getting my regular amount of cardio in. Immediately my stress crept up on me and so did my focus on the tinnitus, I felt pretty horrible - my ears were blasting off. So last night I got in a big session and immediately felt the benefits, the volume decreased significantly and my stress levels reduced.

It's no miracle cure, and it takes alot of effort, but I recommend this to everyone, no matter who you or what type of tinnitus you have. Get moving! Whether it be running, rowing, biking, swimming, circuit training, etc - just start doing it, join a gym if you need to. Regular exercise = less stress (cortisol release) = less tinnitus.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Hey all.

I've been dealing with tinnitus for the past two weeks, probably from going to concerts.

I really used to enjoy jogging, and I would like to get into it again because I'm a bit sad and it makes me feel good. However, I really need to be listening to something while I run in order to keep myself motivated. I've read that earbuds are generally A Bad Idea with tinnitus, even while listening at a low volume. I think that circumaural headphones would be safer, but since I have to run outside [can't afford the gym], I feel like that would be the equivalent of wearing a huge sign on my back that says "I can't hear much! Please attack me!"

Do you guys have any thoughts/suggestions? Should I wait to see if the tinnitus will go away before attempting to run again?

10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Avoid the earplugs, as they can exacerbate noise induced tinnitus. In fact, if running near cars and traffic, be aware that noisy trucks are over 90 db's and can give further damage, so try to run where it is quieter or use hearing protection.

I would say that running with ear buds is a bad combo in your situation. Even noise canceling headphones get mixed reviews here, although I don't have a set personally so have no direct experience.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I am a runner and got tinnitus from running while using earphones. I like many discourage people from using them, especially if they already have tinnitus. There's definitely a difference between earphones and headphones, particularly with dynamic range, but I've given up on headphones as well. Not easy when you're used to running with them but I'd rather not take the chance of making my tinnitus worse.
      That said, my tinnitus does amp up sometimes after a run but in the long run I know it's good for me so I'll always run to some degree or another.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Foamearplugssuck

Running on hard ground or on a treadmill can make tinnitus louder and more intrusive for some people and it's not temporary, so I advise you to be careful. Due to impact that travels up through the legs into the upper body, head and auditory system.

If a person find their tinnitus getting louder due to running, consider using an elliptical/crosstrainer as there is no impact with the ground.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I am looking for some advice here regarding tinnitus and running. My tinnitus is pretty loud but bearable when I am not moving. However whenever I try to go for a run I give up as my tinnitus increases dramatically every time my feet touch the ground. My tinnitus is from an acoustic trauma & barotrauma about a year ago and I also have issues with my jaw.

Is this increase in sound due to my jaw or the other traumas? And is running making everything worse in the long term?

Any expert opinions would be much appreciated!

14. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is there any reason to suspect that the impact of running on hard surfaces can cause damage to the auditory system resulting in tinnitus/exacerbation of tinnitus/hearing loss, etc?

15. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Anything that jars the brain can exacerbate Tinnitus. I would not run with T. There are plenty of other good exercises that don't jar the body.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect? Maybe. Is there any evidence that this has actually happened in a human? No. Is there any evidence that people like marathon runners or daily joggers have higher incidents of hearing loss? Not that I am aware of or have been able to find.

Hearing loss from exercise is usually a result of:
      * perilymphatic fistula
      * severe dehydration
      * noise from gym
      * bombs, if you happened to be running in the Boston Marathon

What do you mean by "jars the brain", and what are you basing this on?

Since I've had worse tinnitus, I have probably jogged or run a couple hundred miles, also done all kinds of jarring high impact stuff (with earpro, of course) like cutting down trees, chopping wood, dirtbikes, etc. No temporary spikes, no long term changes that I am aware of. I've also had a couple blows to the head that made me cross my eyes, uh, a serious car accident, and god knows what else. I think my brain is probably dumber than it was 10 years ago but it doesn't seem to be louder...

All that said, I think jogging is a p shit exercise because it shreds your knees. So I personally would avoid it on those grounds; I think it's a useful life skill to be able to sprint a mile if you absolutely have to, but beyond that I have no interest in building those muscle groups out past a point. Take anything I say about safety and exercise with a big grain of salt, though, since my preferred exercise is "double black diamond glade runs with a ton of trees and moguls".

• Like Like x 2
    17. TLT1998

TLT1998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Hi all,

So basically when I do high impact exercise at all during the day, the next day my tinnitus gets much worse and my ears become very sensitive to sounds and this lasts for 2 days.

I am usually such an active bloke but this is hurting me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you consider "high impact exercise", and what environments are you doing it in?

Have you experimented with intense, non-impact stuff that gets your BP & HR just as high to see if there's any impact there?

Do your "spikes" always go away completely after 2 days?

19. TLT1998

TLT1998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      The high-impact Exercise that includes running, jumping stuff that involves force to thefeet, knee and hips.

I hadn't tried non-impact that gets my BP and HR just as high yet.

The spikes do subside after 2 days.

20. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Shreds your knees alright, especially once you get older, but I love to sprint a mile then I am done lol.
      Totally agree with your preferred exercise, nothing like taking on a mountain. :)

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well, I would probably see if you can replicate this with other vigorous exercise (my ears go nuts and I also get pulsatile T if I start working out and sweating really hard). Also if it always goes back to baseline 100% with no weirdness I probably would not be that concerned, but that's me. I played dodgeball for like 3 years with this stupid condition, ha, I remember taking a shot right in the ear once.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @linearb - Agree - Exercise is usually not a problem.
      There are many articles about Pulsatile tinnitus, including ones about sinus thrombosis that say limit exercise. Spontaneous intracranial hypotension a rare form of pulsatile tinnitus from a traumatic event, such as from jet skiing, or sometimes from head/neck associated pulsatile hyperactive activity can be a problem. Dehydration is never a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
    23. TLT1998

TLT1998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Thanks very much. It's just more so the ears become very sensitive to any noise like me talking sets it off.
      I'll 100% try other exercises to match the HR.

24. TLT1998

TLT1998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I've haven't had dehydration for awhile. Always got water with me. I've got no idea but yeah running, jumping, soccer, basketball etc set it off for 2 days

25. TLT1998

TLT1998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I've been doing like 10-15 minutes of exercise that gets my HR up and the next day the sensitive ears and spikes aren't really there

26. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I just started running again and Epstein didn't kill himself.

27. mikki_

mikki_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? / High frequency hearing loss? / Who knows?
    28. Anners Joey

Anners Joey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Monday
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, before my tinnitus started I was training for a 5k and a 10k. After going to doctors, ENT and back to my GP, they are all in agreement that I have TMD.

I was just wondering if tinnitus and/or TMD could become worse, as in louder ringing, more jaw pain etc... while or after running and light jogging?

Thanks.

29. Julia Garrett

Julia Garrett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unconfirmed
      Just adding my experiences. Whenever I try and jog now (which I did yesterday and then regretted it after though loved it at the time) it spikes my tinnitus which it really frustrating. I also did a high impact Zumba Strong class which made the tinnitus much worse for several days. I’m going to stick to fast walking and Latin dance class. I have endolymphatic hydrops tinnitus which means I have intermittent tinnitus and I cope ok with a white noise hearing aid.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Hi Rich,

I stopped running when my tinnitus started this summer. I’m hoping to start again soon. Following this thread for some ideas. Good luck!