Sad, Very Sad — Spoke to Someone Whose Family Member Killed Themselves Because of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zach1230, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Zach1230

Zach1230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just been speaking to someone whose family member killed themselves because of this damned annoyance - fortunately they managed to keep this from the media who are animals for this kind of story.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      What a fucked up disease this is that it doesn't kill you but drives you to kill yourself.

This is why there should be a drive to push research and drug testing faster than normal.

There is no good reason whatsoever that they should be able to take some government grant, get 20-50 people with chronic tinnitus and inject them with FX-322 and wait 3 months and see what happens. They could do this tomorrow. Also the same sort of test with the other hearing loss drugs, NT-3, BDNF, 7,8-DHF, etc. We deserve that damnit.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I want to be mindful of the desires of the family and do respect their choice, but I think it does the community of sufferers a disservice to keep these cases hidden away from public eye, because the world at large (including doctors) still believes this affliction isn't a big deal.

• Agree Agree x 12
      • Winner Winner x 3
    4. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I totally agree with you and I wish it was out right now that we know it does improve the hearing system but there are still thousands of factors that we are all unaware of which keep this drug away from patients. They don't want to be the reason of the death or total deafness of even one single person. You know what I mean? But i sincerely hope they release it ASAP.

stories like this must be published on the first page of audiology magazines.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Very sad to hear. Usually, stories about people who died due to tinnitus boil down to “they had depression, it wasn’t the tinnitus”, so in that sense, it might be a good thing the media didn’t get wind of the story. Perhaps this tragedy could be used to raise awareness for the need for real treatments but I understand if their family doesn't want to pursue this idea as it could be an incredibly painful process.

• Agree Agree x 10
    6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Exactly. Thousands of people kill themselves every year due to "depression".....I can't help but think that at least a small amount of these are probably tinnitus cases, swept under the rug and signed off as depression.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand not throwing caution to the wind, but at this point they have done 2 safety studies and I think they should allow ENTS or otologists to purchase it and treat willing patients.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah I totally understand your concerns but there are always 2 sides to every story. Anyway, don't get me wrong I just want to say we can not judge them when we don't exactly know what's going on with them. They had 2 successful trials but they never said what needs to be investigated more after having 2 successful experiments. I am positive that their slow progress (if we can call it slow) means a better outcome.

• Like Like x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not. Either the drug works or it doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Rome wasn't built in a day.

I wish everyone success (patients and doctors)

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If they offered it to you today would you try it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zach1230

Zach1230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have a feeling once his death comes out in the coroners offficd then the vulture media will pick up on it - I’m reading people say a death highlights Tinnitus makes people work hard to cure - sadly and maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t think there will ever be a cure for Tinnitus

13. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I mean, the very first medical treatment for chronic tinnitus might have launched this year (Neuromod's device, Lenire) - might because who knows how well it will actually do. So while a cure might still be years off, medical treatments to reduce chronic tinnitus are definitely possible.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. 3mmalee

3mmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ringing tinnitus 2016, MEM in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is so extremely sad and there really needs to be more research done on this awful condition. I’m struggling with suicidal thoughts myself due to my tinnitus, especially my MEM.

• Hug Hug x 7
    15. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Kent Taylor - CEO of Texas Roadhouse - was in the news recently - sadly killed himself due to severe tinnitus linked to his COVID-19 illness - he was suffering from other symptoms but I think this pushed him. He left money behind for tinnitus research. That was 2021 - there was another fairly high profile case recently - can't recall though who.

• Hug Hug x 3
    16. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      The vaccine amped his tinnitus back up to an even more insanely level after he had success with Lenire.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    17. zingting

zingting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear syringing/ worsened by ototoxic eardrops
      Exactly. Stay away from those vaccines. They really do nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      The truth was the vaccine exasperated his tinnitus to a level he would not tolerate!

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dreadful - and if you consider he was worth hundreds of millions - one assumes he had the best medical care. I wonder if he tried all options - Lenire etc etc.

EDIT: Oh I just looked up the thread - so he tried Lenire.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    20. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Or even Clonazepam/Gabapentin to buy him some time.

21. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I've had both the Pfizer and Moderna shots with no effect to my tinnitus (so I could travel of course), so it's hard to believe it was the vaccine. But people are different so it shouldn't be ruled out.

22. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      This is the only journalist that reported the full story from him contracting COVID-19 to reaching out to Hubert Lim, trying Lenire and to his return home and death.

The founder and CEO of Texas Roadhouse caught COVID. 4 months later, he died by suicide. Family and colleagues detail his final days and legacy

"Right after Ortiz’s visit, Taylor traveled to Ireland to try an experimental treatment, which immediately seemed to improve the ringing in one of his ears. He left Ortiz a voicemail saying the trip had gone well, and he was optimistic. He even told Moore, now Roadhouse chairman, he was thinking about going skiing.

But in mid-March, back in Louisville, Taylor went to get his COVID vaccine and the tinnitus came roaring back. Two days later he left work, drove out to the farm, and shot himself."

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      Same here. I started with Pfizer and finished with Moderna. Fortunately no issues with tinnitus but now that I've had it get much worse after acoustic trauma, I'm worried about the next booster. I may pass on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      You are lucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It seems all the sufferers bunch up and come on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never had the vaccine - but I had mild COVID-19 - and my tinnitus started 1 month after I recovered. But I also had seriously compacted ear wax and I don't know what the cause of my tinnitus is as of yet.

But whatever it was - since the manufacturers are now admitting tinnitus is one of the known side effects - I would have to be insane to risk making my relatively mild tinnitus worse than it is by having the vaccination - bear in mind I have had no vaccines - so would need to take at least three to be worth it. I appreciate the chances of my tinnitus getting worse may be low - but given that there are cases of people killing themselves after their post vaccination tinnitus ramped up to unbearable levels - it is not a risk I am prepared to take.

In addition to that - I understand from the research I have done - that the vaccines are less effective against new variants emerging - and the new variants are more transmissible but less dangerous. On the support groups some parents are coming on saying their children have developed post vaccine tinnitus and will it clear. Horrifying!

I appreciate much of this is anecdotal and I expect anyone reading this will do due diligence before making their own vaccination decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      The vaccine isn’t worth it imo for the new variant. People can do what they want though, obviously.

28. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Problem is - the UK government for example have invested billions in vaccines which need to be used so need to get them used or be accused of wasting public funds. Millions of children are yet to be vaccinated so...

• Like Like x 1