Safety of Listening to High Frequency Masking Videos When You Can't Hear the Frequency Yourself?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scarfacesaints, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Scarfacesaints

Scarfacesaints Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't hear high frequencies. I don't have the exact number. I've never been able to ever since I was little. I found a tinnitus masking video that plays at 14 kHz. My friends say the sound is painful, but I can't hear it. It completely masks any sounds at night and I can sleep all night. Am I damaging my ear, though by playing this high frequency even though I personally don't hear it?

I try playing other noises like rain, or fan noise, but I wake up 2.30 am (every time) and my tinnitus is competing with it. It's louder than usual and I can hear it over the video.

During the day, I usually have a slight hiss/ring in one ear and that's about it. Some days it's not there at all. But, at night, my mind goes crazy and my ear rings loud. Gives me such anxiety in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      My ears do that to when I sleep with noise. Now I just sleep in silence and I don't have too bad tinnitus spikes in the middle of the night.

How loud is the frequency being played?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scarfacesaints

Scarfacesaints Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I used to play it pretty loud just to drown out my ringing ears, but now I play fan noise or rain.

How are you during the day? Night time is always the worst for me for some reason.