Scared of Autophony, Decibels? Too Loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LisaCuddy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      Hello!

I have been battling a cold for the last week with lots of cughing, sneezng and mucous production from my nose and throat. After I sneeze I can sometimes feel pain in my sinus area, so I think there might be some swelling going on. Now, when I sometimes swallow, one or both ears sometimes get kind of "stuck"? And I can hear my breathing as if I was breathing right through my ear. It usually scares the hell out of me bc when I talk or something then it sounds super loud and I try to keep my voice down until it fades with lots of swallowing.

Today it happened while I was brushing my teeth with my electric tothbrush and it happened a few times. I treid brushing manually then but also got the same autophony effect. Now I am really worried because I read that this happens when the Eustachian tube is being left open and all sounds go into the middle ear and just reverbrate against the tympanic membrane. How bad is this because of loudness?

It did go away after I sat down, cleared my nose (super loud it felt, but from the outside it was normal volume, I was told) and drank two glasses of water. I am very worried that I got some very high decibels into my ear because of this. Is this damaging? Do I need to be scared? Has this happened to any of you?