Scared to Have MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karengals, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Karengals
      Anime

Karengals Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have to have an MRI for a shoulder injury, I have had tinnitus for 5 years, I'm so scared to do the MRI because of noise. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Has anyone had an MRI and what happened? Very anxious here!

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I'm pretty sure you're allowed to wear earplugs during and MRI. I did, and I had my MRI done to check my ears. If I could wear earplugs when checking my ears, I'm sure they'll allow you earplugs to check your shoulder.

3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I cancelled an MRI because of fear. However a year later I was persuaded to undergo a full head and back MRI to rule out possibility of acoustic neuroma. The MRI was 70 mins long and was very noisy. However they played radio through my headphones which helped a little. I would advise bringing additional earplugs for use under the earphones. Was glad I had the MRI and suffered no change in tinnitus afterwards (in fact for a little while it decreased in volume). Good Luck.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Put in sponge earplugs and their headphones over the top.
      Also ask them to set the scanner on the child friendly setting because the sound is softer...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have had many and still get several a year (for my other condition) and it is not bad. They have now have newer generation of MRI machines which are open (no tube), 75% quieter and just as accurate. See if you have that as an option. Remember: the purpose of the machine to help you not harm you! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1