Should I Take Some (More) Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JurgenG, Feb 13, 2017.

1. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Had my T since 1,5 months - almost 2 now.
      Things are getting weirder, quite high T during some nights now. (last night 4/10 instead of 2/10), but this night it also disappeared after I fell asleep and lowered to a 1/10. (temporarily probably)

Thing is, my "good" ear never had any trouble before, but a couple of days ago I had a small "accident" with my in-ears intercom, I hit the plastic and it gave me an spike for a couple of seconds. (It gave some sort of contact noise), since than I fear that that ear is also more fluctuating. Strange thing is that I sometimes can't even hear in which ear it is, and it's travelling between the two ears. (Ever heard of something like this..?)

So my question, should I take some prednisone, to offset any -new- potential damage this little accident did?

I took some a month ago, and have some left.

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      NO.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any reason why not? I've seen lots of people here stocking up on steriods.

Edit: Last time I only took for a week or something.

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I have extreme hyperacusis. I often use earmuffs so I make a lot of "contact noises". It spikes my T but am I going to take Prednisone each time ?

I took it way too much last year and it only made me worse. I learned something : there are serious side-effects and it is only supposed to work right after a big acoustic trauma (and/or sudden hearing loss).

In your case, there is absolutely no reason to take it. So don't.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good advice Foncky. I see no reason for taking meds in the early stages of tinnitus other than taking mild antidepressant if recommend by a GP.
      Things usually settle down after a while. @JurgenG If you listen to audio through headphones I advise you not to even at low volume. Keep away from loud sounds and use a sound machine at night.
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys.
      I do try to be as vigilant as I can but some things are out my hands.
      I actually need headphones for my job as well, and now with these in-ears I can set the volume very low because it blocks outside noise as much as possible.

The problem is, its an intercom system and sometimes it does occasionally give some feedback/ bad signals, so I can't always foresee everything.. :/
      Especially that time I described where I was accidentally touched the plastic bit of my in-ear giving a loud clicking sound and suddenly peaking my T after that.
      But appearantly something like that happens frequently without any long-term problems, Foncky?

The other bit that gets me worried is this new behaviour of my T, especially at night. :/

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @JurgenG
      I am sorry to hear that you are using in-ear or any type of headphones. I realize that you use them for your work, however, I strongely advise, if possible not to use any type of headphone as you risk making the tinnitus worse in my opinion. Sorry to sound so sobering. Since you have been using them for your work, I tend to believe they are the cause of your tinnitus. Many people have contacted me that work in call centres etc and use headsets for their job, these people have developed tinnitus because of these devices.
      Again, I'm sorry to give you this kind of news but I feel headphones has caused or contributed to your tinnitus.
      I wish you well
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I know, I've had a really loud signal, total unexpected, on one when I plugged it in, and this actually/probably started it.
      I only use them when needed now, and lower the volume a lot.
      And I really can't avoid it, I am a cameraman, and it's really my life.

I've just been so tired the last week, it's like starting all over again.
      :'(