Slow Down vs. Stop

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Jan 11, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Do earplugs prevent tinnitus sufferers from further damage? I believe they do not - not totally. I believe if you have tinnitus and think earplugs will block out damaging volume, you're wrong. Plugs may slow down the progression of tinnitus in my opinion. I've been playing with fire for years. I have an arsenal of different styles of plugs. After a a couple memorable nights of loud music, with plugs, the next few days were horrible. I took my chances and found out that even with plugs, the tinnitus was getting stronger over time. Duh. Let's say I had stitches in my leg and the doctor said Don't shower for a few days. I ignored him and showered and the wound opened. When he asked why I ignored his order, I replied, I don't know. Then after a few days I showered again but the wound never had a real chance of healing properly. In time, it did heal shut but looked like a wide deep scar with no sensation to touch at all. And after many years only regained a very slight feeling sensation. I do have a scar like this. And I have tinnitus. I'm an idiot.

2. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Is this regarding my thread? I'm only asking since you posted in it. But I do agree with your points about how it might only slow it down.

3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      You are a crazy man! I suppose whether earplugs protect or not depends on how loud the music is? Probably if the music is around 90-100 db and you wear earplugs it could still protect.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Ear plugs certainly do protect you and allow you be in some noisy situations. You can go the movies, a party, a loud restaurant, some concerts.

But I think it is unsafe and unwise to be in hyper noisy environments with T. If you were going into these situations then yes, you were playing with fire. And apparently got burned.

But do think some people's tinnitus will spike or gradually worsen, even if they take precautions. Aging, for example, can lead to T, and you can't control that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Its true. We also have no control over accidents. But i guess thats just life..:(

6. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think it depends how loud the environment is, if you are relying on earplugs to protect your hearing if you go to a rock concert for example then that is pretty daft! If you wear earplugs for noisy workplaces where brief loud noises happen then i think earplugs would be enough to prevent tinnitus getting worse, I definitively know my tinnitus wouldn't have increased from a brief loud noise if at the time i had ear protection.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I'm referring to 'damaging' volume such as constant machinery or concerts. There are lower frequencies that will get to the inside of your head just as the bass at a concert gets to the inside of your torso. In fact the bony area behind the ear is a receptor for many mid and low frequencies. I trusted earplugs many times and shouldn't have.

• Agree Agree x 1