Small Spike Dilemma... Should I Get a Course of Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John_415, May 24, 2018.

1. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey all,

So I have had tinnitus since a little before the beginning of this year (loud earplug-sound accident). It was an annoying morse code ring in the left ear.
      I took 1 course of prednisone at 1,5 months with some effect, the tone is much much better now.
      The negative side was a faint ringing in the right ear.

Then at a little over 2 months in I (finally) got a heavy dose of prednisone and also did HBOT for 10 sessions. The prednisone had a slight effect of lowering of tinnitus in the left ear but also an increase of tinnitus in my right ear which is a very high almost out of hearing range note.

So the pattern is: I use prednisone and the ringing in the left ear decreases perhaps but the ringing in the right ear increases.

6 days ago I had another apparent noise exposure (I pulled out and plugged back in the audio cable of my speaker system.... that caused crackling, that caused a feeling of ear fullness and then ringing), really did not expect this.

So the ringing increased in my right ear this time again. I am taking some prednisone (I have had around) since day 3. I am taking 30mg per day, but have only 3 more left over, which means I'm out in 3 days (Monday).

Should I call the ENT and get a full on prednisone course ... again. Or not do anything?
      Last 2 times I took prednisone my tinnitus increased in my right ear, so it does seem logical that it could just worsen it even more.

My previous tinnitus was audible only when at home in silence, this tinnitus level is also audible in very silent areas during the day. I know I'm just gonna mill this over all night again, if I call the ENT tomorrow (Friday) I should be able to have more prednisone at about Monday.

If anyone has suggestions or opinions that would be appreciated!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Prednisone should not be so easily given out as it has its own problems.
      You should be fine and it should settle down over a few days.
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for your response, I might be overreacting indeed, I guess I should be carefull with the prednison.
      Very kind regards,
      John

• Like Like x 1