Smoke Alarms?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DCousins, Oct 8, 2017.

1. DCousins

DCousins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Sinus
      My dumb smoke alarm went off for no reason (well the reason was condensation build up but it happened quite randomly).

Had to pull it off and was near it for a good 3-4 min.

Now my tinnitus is super noticeable again and I'm a lil frustrated. Will it go back to how it was originally (super unnoticeable unless I'm legit looking for it at night) or yikes?

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @DCousins,

I'm sorry to hear about the smoke alarm, I had mine go off a few weeks ago (at 2:00am), had to leave and wait for the fire department, etc.. (nothing was on fire, just a malfunction). It was horrible.

I wish I would answer your question, but everyone is different and there is no way to tell for sure what will happen with you. I would not stress too much about it yet, give it some time to calm down on its own.

3. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      My way of dealing with that is to keep some Peltor X5A's somewhere easily accessible in my apartment, that way I can grab and put them on before I remove the smoke alarm.

Most likely it will turn out to be a temporary spike that subsides in a couple of days, just try to relax and not stress too much about it :)

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Next time, if you see that you could be exposed to a loud sound in such a manner, you might want to just walk out of your house. You could then wait for someone else to do something about the alarm.

After I had a spike following my alarm beeping, I took the batteries out of all of my fire alarms.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I doubt those muffs can reduce the noise enough to allow you to be ok after being exposed to such a noise for over 3 minutes.

6. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah, condensation and insects are mentioned on the internet as some of the causes of false alarms. Additionally, smoke alarms more than ten years old are known to go off when there is no smoke. Mine were twelve years old. So, after experiencing a couple false alarms in the middle of the night, I replaced them. It's not a pleasant way to be awakened in the middle of the night! That's for sure.

7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      This has happened to me. I just plug my ears with my fingers deeply and run outside of the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1