Someone Working with Development/Programming/Coding?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Visitor1538, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

Hi there, just wondered if someone is a computer engineer or a developer. I'm thinking about going into that profession. Do you have some tips or advice on how you stay focused and cope with your tinnitus while coding and trouble solving? : ) I'm currently learning JS, ruby and C#.

• Like Like x 2
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I don't have any specific tips but I believe that T can be distracting for any sort of work, not just computer related stuff.
      Keep in mind that most of these types of jobs are set in quiet environments (inside offices) so there's not too much noise for masking the T. I am a software engineer and I actually appreciate that fact (but my T is a bit reactive so I prefer silent places).

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

Some people I know usually sits with a headset with music while they code at their offices. So that could be a good way to mask while I code. you don't use any masking when coding at all?

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Good quality headphones and music. Experiment with closed and semi-open ones. Closed ones are typically the best because they isolate the outside sound. For example AKG K550 is a good choice.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

Hmm okay, could experiment with some headphones, finding a range that doesn't damage the hearing and mask it somewhat : ) I also believe closed is best, because you don't need to have the music as load.

6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      You could also mix both music and ACRN sounds (you probably know this DIY thread here already?) which works ok and can suppress T for many.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

Hmm. oki. No I don't. I made a user two days ago : ) ACRN sounds? are those specific masking tones?

8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Visitor1538

Visitor1538 Guest

Hmm, so it's sounds beeping up and down in the T's range? I have a hard time finding mine though, it's somewhere around 13khz. The DIY seemed a little complicated, but I guess just paying for the notch isnt worth the subscription?

Is it suppose to mix in with the regular tracks for your own music? Or do you just play your songs while that works as a masker in the background?

Sorry for the questions back to you, it just confused me alittle. : )

10. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Just try some of the different files uploaded in that thread and see what works for you. You can listen to these in loop with or without music. I have sometimes used these with music and used Windows' mixer to mix the the ACRN volume lower than Spotify.

11. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I'm a software developer and have had tinnitus for about 3 years.

My solutions is to just listen to ACRN on low volumes while I work. It's actually nice background beeping and I can play music/podcasts over it.

Also, when I'm actually solving a problem and not waiting for things to finish, I don't notice at nearly as much (even though mine is loud)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I just started on learning CSS and Html5 -Java ...I'm thinking of transitioning to this profession ...being a tight front end developement guy. Any advice out there?

13. Mikel

Mikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I used to be a programmer, but in my current profession it is very important to be able to concentrate. I still have bad days, but things got much better after three months. At least I can get work done.

I never managed to get used to the ACRN sound so I use this website every day: http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/ultrasonicNoiseGenerator.php

Try to set the noise to the 8khz profile. It's also worth to pay the 5$ and get lifetime VIP access. I am now sticking with the cricket sounds.

For the night I use a cricket mp3 file with a sleep timer. This makes my Tinnitus bearable.

14. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Make a few small open source projects and put them up on your github/bitbucket account!

If I was interviewing you, I'd check that first to see if you have what it takes to write decent software.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After musicians, I keep running into software developers on TT! Are these the two main demographics who are most at risk for getting T? I hope not, as I'm both an (aspiring) software developer and a pro musician :confused:

For me, being in a computer lab with 12+ humming pc's is half of the battle, but there's not much more I can do as I'm a bit scared of using headphones.
      At home, I use frequency dense music (shoegaze, noise pop, Bitches Brew era Miles Davis...). The biggest challenge is surviving quiet lectures and tests. I used to have BOINC (World Community Grid) running on my laptop just because I liked the sound of its fan running at full speed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sometimes you need a quiet environment to focus on really challenging work. The humming of the air conditioner or the multiple computers in the room are enough to mask most Ts. Unfortunately some companies are unaware of the inner workings of the human mind or think we are just there for grunt work. Sad, sad places.

I also hear music because I like music. Sometimes instrumental or really familiar songs to not get distracted.

About going into IT.

It's challenging to start without a background or guidance, but it's doable. Guidance is gold. When I approach a hard problem, I'm the rock hammer in Shawnsank Redemption. You sit, you think really hard, you write the result. Aiming for perfection means being too scared. There is no progress without struggle. There is no real work you won't be ashamed of. If you wonder if it's all worth it, but you keep at it, congrats! you found your calling (also, you are crazy, pretty much the same thing). Enjoy! it's gonna take a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Before get T i was very talented c/c++/java/js/php/python/assembly/html/bash programmer i liked this very much.
      After T i lost my interest in coding / software architecture and iam learning hardware/electronics design.
      I have found that hours in the pc screen aggravates my T like epilepsy get kids in some video games.
      Also i can tolerate only 0db pc anymore so my pc is totally silent. No fans no mechanic hard disks.
      Passive cooling & ssd.

If you learning now my advice is java/c++ for serious software and for scripting python/php
      ruby and c# are not better choices.
      Of course at any languages software architecture/algorithms/underlying science is the base
      language is just the tool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've got the Quincy jones ones and they are amazing!

• Like Like x 1
    19. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, Machine Learning/ Data Science Engineer Here! I use low level music in headphones.