Speech Recognition Technology and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Juan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I was wondering if today it would be possible to develop a speech recognition technology that would translate surrounding sound to text displayed on a tablet or portable device...

If users can talk on the phone to a machine that provides customer service using speech recognition technology, maybe this technology can also be used to help people with hearing problems navigate around their daily tasks on face to face interactions with other people. Of course there will be the problem of noise, general surrounding noise, that the speech recognition technology would have to filter.

What do you guys think?

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Apps like that have been available for a long time.

Useful Apps for Hearing Loss

• Like Like x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Just like Ann said, We all know about that stuff. No one here uses that technology because it is closed source spyware that sends personal conversations to overseas intelligence agencies.

4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I don't mind sharing.

5. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I used to use Live Transcribe sometimes when my tinnitus was worse. It's based on Google speech recognition and should be the best out there, plus it's free and works offline as well. You can split the screen with Live Transcribe and your video/audio player so you get it instantly transcribing. It won't work on the PC as far as I know, at least without an emulator, last I checked.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for calls, at least on my phone, because 2 apps can't use the microphone at the same time. There's probably a workaround but I haven't bothered to search for it. If I want to transcribe a video, instead of using Live Transcribe, I could also upload it to Youtube with it set to unlisted and if I wanted to transcribe an audio file there's easy ways to make it into a video. That way you can get it free for the PC as well.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi Ann, thanks for that link! I did not know those apps. Have you tried any of them?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Why would that be different from using let's say WhatsApp or Facebook?