Spike After Noise, Some Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stacey427, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi All,

I’ve suffered with tinnitus for over five years now, I go ok with it sometimes, sometimes some days are harder than others. You know the drill.

I often browse the forum, but I haven’t been on much of late as I’ve been busy and trying to always adjust.

I have a question for anyone out there who have had noise induced spikes.

About half an hour ago I was cleaning out my fridge when I accidentally dropped a glass bottle onto the glass shelf tray with my head less than two feet from it. Let’s just say the noise was sudden and loud enough for me to have muffled hearing and increased ringing instantly, the muffled feeling passed a little but now I have a spiked ringing in that ear and what feels like mild muffled hearing.

Could someone please talk me through this and tell me what I can do? I can take some magnesium but I’m not sure how much?

Very anxious and worried. I didn’t think a sound like that could be loud enough to do this but I guess it is.

Thank you in advance,
      Stacey.

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Stacey, I’ve had similar situation happen to me when before I was going to work in the morning, you can take 800 mg of magnesium and don’t think a lot about it and regret your mistake. Shit happens. Avoid going to places above 80 db for a few days and you should get better.

3. Gav

Gav Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      I've had many, many spikes from such accidents and my hearing has always settled down after a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks. My spikes from accidentally dropping plates/glasses when unloading the dishwasher have been the shortest spikes of all.

So I'm 99.9% certain you will be fine. If you want to take supplements, now is a good time to do it. Magnesium, NAD+ (Nicotinamide riboside) if you can get any. Others on this forum have recommended NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) to take after noise exposure, which I tried for the first time after my last huge spike a few weeks ago.

I think we should have a sticky thread on this forum for spikes as they can be terrifying when they happen, especially for those new to tinnitus. We have lots of good posts about spikes, but they are dotted throughout loads of threads.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      @Gav

Thank you so much for the immediate reply, I’ve taken 300mg of magnesium but unfortunately do not have access to the others recommendations.

My ear feels a little “full” and louder, if that makes any sense. But I can take more magnetism if needed, may I ask what dose of magnesium you take during noise induced spikes?

Thank you for reassuring me. :)

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I think you'll be OK, i remember my spike a few years ago where I had the same happen. A plate or vase dropped on a hard surface very close to me made a ridiculously loud noise (so loud I can still remember it in my mind to this day). My T definitely spiked, I was as worried as you were... It went away after a few weeks. I think you'll be OK since the sound was loud but not prolonged. I am noise induced also if it helps

• Like Like x 1
    6. Gav

Gav Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      No problem. Spikes have caused me so much angst over the years... they can be very scary when they happen.

I just take a regular daily supplement of Magnesium (when I remember), which I think is around 300mg. For my last spike I took double that for a few days, though this is apparently not recommended as it can cause problems elsewhere in your body.

I'd definitely recommend ordering in some NAD+ though, even for this spike. I take 500mg a day of this, which is a fairly high dose. I can definitely feel it when I've taken it, so at least I know it's doing something! I don't know enough about the NAC yet to comment. There is plenty of ref online for both supplements.

• Like Like x 1
    7. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      also you might want to wear ear muffs just when you are in the kitchen for a week to be on the safe side while your spike settles. dishes and pots and pans can get loud when anciently banged during a time like this.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thank you all for the support and suggestions! I can’t thank you all enough. X