Squeeeeeel-ing for EVER.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Squeeeeeel, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Squeeeeeel

Squeeeeeel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So high pitched I haven't found any sound to match it, to compare it to. Mostly it is not too bothersome, just constant. I can ignore it much of the time, thank goodness. I love listening to crickets at night when they are loud; it kind of 'blends' my tinnitus with their sounds.
      I suspect mine started when I was an older teen, as I took a lot of aspirin for tooth-aches.

My mother-in-law, with dementia, is convinced there are termites chewing up her house. Can't explain tinnitus to her, as she's never heard of it. But at least the "Bug Guy" is able to assure her, "No termites,"

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I have ultra high pitched tinnitus too.
      For high pttched tinnitus, you can try sounds of heavy rain, cicadas, waterfall, waves, wind, blue noise, even shower or faucet sounds. Here are audio clips good for high pitch T. Set the volume low first and then increase to the level you feel comfortable. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY 1...

version without the beep tone:
      MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY (No...

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Squeeeeeel

Squeeeeeel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks, billie 48! Started to listen but the dogs didn't care for it at all, so I will give a listen later on when they are outside!:)

• Like Like x 1
    4. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You can perhaps find the frequency (or near) that your T is, using something like this site:

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Please turn your volume down first!

(There are other tone generators online as well.)​

Then move the slider around.

Mine varies a bit; in the beginning it was very variable but was at 8-10kHz, and is currently up about 12.2kHz. I also experienced a main frequency with buzziness (+/- 200Hz at the same time). For me, it also varies by day and hour. Tomorrow it might be 11.5kHz or 12.5kHz.

I wasn't aware of the exact mechanism, but for some people, they can zap the T using a tool like this (playing for 10 seconds perhaps), and then their T decreases in loudness. The process is called residual inhibition. I have found that it can decreases the bothersome sound for an hour or more, though for some people it only last a few seconds.

Good luck brother!

5. califkaren

califkaren Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      is it just me: i have trouble finding a match that works for my noise. Is there a trick?

6. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @califkaren Sometimes there are multiple sounds like 3 or 4 main frequencies. I've heard of people who have something like tones at 3000 and also 6000. Also sometimes the T noise is very buzzy. By buzzy I mean a main frequency (example 10kHz) and also some unstable varying lesser noises like 9900, or 9950 or 10025. So those additional tones will make the T be buzzy. Probably the buzz is actually from all frequencies being made in a window like 9950-10050, and maybe 10010 is the loudest one.